LDRS: Thanks to everyone!

I had a fantastic time at LDRS, and I want to thank everyone who helped put it all together. It was great to see such a huge crowd in lovely upstate NY. Weather was a little hot and sticky on Sunday, but Friday and Saturday were perfect...especially Saturday when there was just a breath of wind all day and temps were in the high 70s. (I meant to be there Thursday, but a blown starter in the van took care of that good intention.)

For me, the best part was hanging out with fellow hybrid dreamers like Scott of SFSM Industries, Todd of Skyripper, Marty of X-Rockets, Oscar of Star Rocketry, and Marcus Leech, the guru of Propulsion Polymers. I am in awe of all of these guys. Todd's motors were for sale, newly certified; what a thrill, and they flew great. Marty has done the incredible (as usual) by redesigning his fabulous drop-down launch system so that it not only works better, but will be dramatically lower in price. We proudly showed Marcus' six-inch diameter O hybrid motor (on a stand draped with purple velvet) as well as his new PentaMAX J and K set, a 22mm G, and the upcoming "Heavy Lift Hybrid" M motor. A reporter and photographer from Popular Science spent quite a bit of time with us, so we're hoping for some nice publicity.

It was great to see Gary Rosenfield and chat for a while. Those wimps on "Survivor" ought to listen to him sometime, to understand what a REAL survivor has been through. But he's always positive and upbeat, talking about new projects and plans; that's one of the things I admire most about him.

Thanks to the patience and labor of my co-conspirator Ivan Galysh and his lovely wife Marta, we assisted in at least six hybrid M flights. Our ground support gear got some nice comments, especially the new BFV fill valve that can tank up a 2600cc M in a couple of minutes. It was great to have Scott there with his NOX pump charging up the field tanks. My impression is that the concept of having a separate "Hybrid Alley" where people can set up their gassers without interfering with the flow of the rest of the launch worked well. Hybrid fliers got the services they needed promptly, and others didn't have to wait around for them. I'm sure we'll take home "lessons learned" from this.

All in all, it was a splendid event in a beautiful place, with great people showing off some great toys. The weather was better than you could ask for. Others might disagree, but personally I love to fly in a place where neat old airplanes occasionally come gargling overhead; the sound of a big Wright rotary engine is just as musical to me as the honk of a big hybrid. The museum people are wonderful hosts, and since they have a crazy hobby too, they understand us. As for the field itself, I saw a lot of big, impressive, complicated rockets that worked great and came right back down within easy walking distance.

Kudos to the organizers, who worked their tails off so the rest of us could play.

Reply to
Doug Pratt

Point!

Respect, Gary.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I agree Doug, I thought the BRS folks did a GREAT job with LDRS!! I wish I could have helped out more then I did, but with the family there (including a 1 year old and a 3 year old!) and four L3 certs to perform (I still can't believe how busy those certs kept me!) I was kept far busier then I expected.

Congrats go out to Keith Gaillard, Joel Rogers, and John Russo for their L3 certs! All 3 were text book perfect flights, without a scratch on them. My fourth cert was Shannon Rollins. His flight looked good, but the rocket was lost, and as far as I know, still hasn't been found. Hang in there, Shannon, if it's found, we still might get that cert in! ;)

Congratulations BRS on hosting a very fine event! It appeared to be greatly appreciated by everyone I talked to, and it was certainly appreciated by me and my family.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

I *believe*, but I'm not positive, this is the movie Memphis Belle.....they look better when they take off, and from a grass field.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

It has been moved from the Island last I heard and was being restored, but not to flying status. There are two groups trying to find a place to keep it out of the weather.

The Air Force delivered it to Memphis years ago in a lease program and every few years they threaten to take it back if we do not do something to protect it better.

The pilot and all of the crew have been here over the years and all believe that it is the one they flew.

Perhaps the one at LDRS was the one used in the movie?

Burt

Reply to
Burt Holyfield

According to Burt Holyfield :

According to the LCO, it was the one used in the movie.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Sounds like a great closer to the video

Reply to