Long rocket reinforcing help

My friend is going to build a Mean Mean Machine Mean Machine (3 mean machine bodies). When he picks it up, it bows in the middle pretty bad, so I suggested to foam the entire thing except the booster section. I was wondering if this would be enough, or should there be more reinforcement. Thanks in advance

Reply to
Solomon Westerman

Simply gluing balsa stringers (tall toward inside of rocket) would be far lighter and more effective.

The whole project is a bad idea.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hollow carbon-fiber kite stays? Light and very stiff.

Reply to
bit eimer

That's not overkill. If I built a rocket like that it would have a 38mm motor mount, and that thing would fold under a J570. I have seen many rockets fold in the middle, and a few fold in multiple places. I do like the idea of using longer tubes, and although I am a firm believer in paper, the stiffness of phenolic would help here.

Reply to
Stephen

I wouldn't use Great Stuff or any other can foam for 2 reasons. The can foam needs moisture to cure and it is almost impossible to get the stuff from the can into the tubes unless you fill each tube as glue them up.

I built a 5-ft by 24mm superoc and used can foam and it worked ok. But upon inspection after a crash, there were areas that had bubbles & voids.

I have done one with 2 part foam with none of the hassles. I just made small pours about 8 to 10-in at a time. Worked very well.

Nick Stich in Topeka

Reply to
NStich

Jerry's right about this. The balsa ribs are the only way to fly -- I have done this myself numerous times -- but to build a really, really long rocket out of such intrinsically flexible material is a bad idea from the get-go.

Reply to
Marty Schrader