Motor use and NAR safety code question

The safety code requires motors to be used IAW manufacturer recommendations.

Can I use a motor (BP) during a flight for other than strict propulsion and still be in compliance at a sanctioned launch?

Essentially, a motor assisted deployment system. I've obviously heard of such things being done, I just need to do it at sanctioned launches.

Reply to
Gary

I don't know if NAR has any rules against this, but TRA doesn't. And technically, a motor being used for ejection is still providing propulsion.

I know of at least one large rocket, Chuck Sackett's "Downright Ignorant", that used a J motor to deploy the chutes!

Reply to
RayDunakin

Contact the manufacturer and ask them.

They will tell you if it is a recommended or approved use of their product per section 2.

That is what killed "tandem motors".

Then there is the "flammable payload" thing in section 8.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter