NARAM-48 Website Online

Yes, we are planning to shut the range down at 11:45 AM on all days of NARAM, Sunday through Friday. It will be too hot, and will help us miss the possible dust storm/rain that the monsoon season brings.

Check out the website

for the proposed schedule and listing of afternoon activities.

Matt

Reply to
Man of Steele

but if your gonna fly 0630-1130 sunday why not 0630-1130 saturday as well ? do you really think that small a number of people will fly ?

Chris Taylor

Nerys

Over the past decade or so, there's been more participation on the weekend sport launch than for the contest. Some folks come in just for the weekend. With only one day of sport flying instead of two, they won't come to NARAM-48.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Normally I would agree with you bob but this year is further complicated. in the past mamy flyers would show up at the field during a time span where this year we will be closing down. that will make things interesting !

Does it really get THAT hot there ? this means getting up at the absolute latest 0500 every morning since its a 40+ minute ride just to get to the field if you want to be there by 0630 and with only 5 flying hours you need to be there early.

Its gonna be rush rush rush to get enough pictures thats for sure ! :-)

Chris Taylor

Nerys

it might at least be nice for sat/sun to make the "end time" a tiny bit more "open ended" so if its not too hot at 1130 keep going another thirty minutes. repeat till it starts to get too hot and then close up shop - keep the preplanned times for the weekdays. just a thought ???

Chris Taylor

Nerys

"Nerys" wrote in news:1140669513.026338.222710 @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

It does indeed get THAT hot. Read the section in the NARAM web site about weather and survival

Sunscreen, lots of water, and a wide-brimmed hat will be necessities.

If you want to extend sport flying to two days, e-mail the NARAM contest director.

Reply to
Ken Sparks

Generally, it starts to get "too hot" about 10 AM. We had discussed shut things down at 10:30 AM, and you can see we extended that time for another hour. You won't see many people outside working after that time here in the summer. And, this is for people who live here - it will be much harder on those not used to the heat. So, the plan is to fly as much as we can while it is comfortable, and then get out of the sun.

Keep in mind we have no Daylight Savings time (we don't want to save daylight!), so the sun comes up early on your watch compared to places with DST. This will also be hotter than the Las Vegas NARAM (300 miles further north) and the Tucson NARAM (2000+ ft higher in altitude than Rainbow Valley). It will be hot, and you will not want to linger in the heat.

I started going to NARAMs 30 years ago, and I've lived in Arizona for a number of years. This is the best plan of attack for people to enjoy their time at NARAM-48.

Matt

Reply to
Man of Steele

Say, what's with the $118 per night for the hotel? I just went to their web site, and can get a room for the week of NARAM-48 for $99 "best rate" or $89 with my AARP card. My guess is that AAA is the same rate as AARP, but don't have one of those.

The Ramada last year played this game with us too. Those who booked on the net paid $20 less than the NARAM-47 rate. Except when I tried to do it, the web site was broke, jsut like everything else at the Ram-it-inn.

What's up?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

That may make sense when you are young, you will regret it when you get old. All too soon you Arizonians (Arizoners?) will be in the twilight of your lives while the rest of us will be basking in all the daylight we saved over the years!

Dale Greene SPAAR 503

Reply to
Dale Greene

With all due respect (ceserved or not) having a NARAM in AZ or TX in August is insanity.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

He IS old.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The time change isn't an issue. Just think of NARAM-48 as running on Eastern time (like home for you) instead of Pacific time.

BTW, we did the same schedule change at the other two desert NARAMs, in Vegas and Tucson. In Vegas it really was a non-issue, since time is meaningless in that town and everything is 24x7. Getting breakfast in Phoenix at 5am may be an issue.

Yes, it does! I'm not at all worried about the time shift as much as I am with the 5 hour window to fly. Since there will be less participation in west coast NARAMs, I'm assuming 3 shifts instead of 4. So each contestant will serve 1:40 range duty each day, and have 3:20 to make their flights. THAT will be tight. Especially for those of us who have to assist an A Divisioner.

No rush at all if you think of it as EDT instead of PDT.

Since people know it's going to be an early schedule all week, there's no reason that I see for NOT having launch on Saturday. I expect to arrive in town early anyway, and would really like the extra day to fly. I've got friends that might like to wander out Saturday that might not be available Sunday morning or during the work week.

We're probably taking a 3 week driving vacation, and have family and friends to visit in the Phoenix area any way. We'll just be looking for a cheaper hotel for the non-NARAM part of the stay! Or a better rate for the whole stay at the NARAM hotel, which looks like it's raising its rates for NARAM-48.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I hear there are some nice Ramada's out that way if you don't mind a little remodeling dust, Bob.

Reply to
Bill Eichelberger

OK, what did I ever do to YOU?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Never mind! matt has clarified that the wording on the web site was misleading. The SUITES are $119. The regular rooms are $80. THe web site is being updated to indicate that. So now I have to call back and cancel & rebook at an even lower rate.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Posted to rmr and opened up yourself to shit?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Don't be so hard on yourself, jerry.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Most of the s^&t you received on RMR is a result of your activities off RMR. Most rocketeers, when they understand the scope of your body of work, find little else to do but give you s^%t. As you are so found of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished". Unfortunately for you, most folks on RMR define good deeds 180 degrees different than you demonstrated, in at least your past activities.

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

I called the Goodyear Hampton this morning, gave them my internet confirmation number, and they changed my rate from the $89 AARP rate to the lower $80 NARAM rate. Took less than 2 minutes on the phone.

The web site still hasn't been updated, but I'm sure Matt will get that clarified soon.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Nothing, I just know of your love for fine lodging. ;-)

Reply to
Bill Eichelberger