NARAM-48 Website Online

Yes, we are planning to shut the range down at 11:45 AM on all days of NARAM, Sunday through Friday. It will be too hot, and will help us miss
the possible dust storm/rain that the monsoon season brings.
Check out the website (www.naram.org) for the proposed schedule and listing of afternoon activities.
Matt
but if your gonna fly 0630-1130 sunday why not 0630-1130 saturday as well ? do you really think that small a number of people will fly ?
Chris Taylor http://www.naramlive.com /

Over the past decade or so, there's been more participation on the weekend sport launch than for the contest. Some folks come in just for the weekend. With only one day of sport flying instead of two, they won't come to NARAM-48.
Normally I would agree with you bob but this year is further complicated. in the past mamy flyers would show up at the field during a time span where this year we will be closing down. that will make things interesting !
Does it really get THAT hot there ? this means getting up at the absolute latest 0500 every morning since its a 40+ minute ride just to get to the field if you want to be there by 0630 and with only 5 flying hours you need to be there early.
Its gonna be rush rush rush to get enough pictures thats for sure ! :-)
Chris Taylor http://www.naramlive.com /
it might at least be nice for sat/sun to make the "end time" a tiny bit more "open ended" so if its not too hot at 1130 keep going another thirty minutes. repeat till it starts to get too hot and then close up shop - keep the preplanned times for the weekdays. just a thought ???
Chris Taylor http://www.naramlive.com /
Generally, it starts to get "too hot" about 10 AM. We had discussed shut things down at 10:30 AM, and you can see we extended that time for another hour. You won't see many people outside working after that time here in the summer. And, this is for people who live here - it will be much harder on those not used to the heat. So, the plan is to fly as much as we can while it is comfortable, and then get out of the sun.
Keep in mind we have no Daylight Savings time (we don't want to save daylight!), so the sun comes up early on your watch compared to places with DST. This will also be hotter than the Las Vegas NARAM (300 miles further north) and the Tucson NARAM (2000+ ft higher in altitude than Rainbow Valley). It will be hot, and you will not want to linger in the heat.
I started going to NARAMs 30 years ago, and I've lived in Arizona for a number of years. This is the best plan of attack for people to enjoy their time at NARAM-48.
Matt
Say, what's with the $118 per night for the hotel? I just went to their web site, and can get a room for the week of NARAM-48 for $99 "best rate" or $89 with my AARP card. My guess is that AAA is the same rate as AARP, but don't have one of those.
The Ramada last year played this game with us too. Those who booked on the net paid $20 less than the NARAM-47 rate. Except when I tried to do it, the web site was broke, jsut like everything else at the Ram-it-inn.
What's up?
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

Never mind! matt has clarified that the wording on the web site was misleading. The SUITES are $119. The regular rooms are $80. THe web site is being updated to indicate that. So now I have to call back and cancel & rebook at an even lower rate.
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

I called the Goodyear Hampton this morning, gave them my internet confirmation number, and they changed my rate from the $89 AARP rate to the lower $80 NARAM rate. Took less than 2 minutes on the phone.
The web site still hasn't been updated, but I'm sure Matt will get that clarified soon.
BTW, I checked sunrise/sunset times on my PDA planetarium program.
For the Phoenix area, middle of NARAM week, twilight is at 5:14am, sunrise at 5:42, sunset at 19:27, and dusk at 19:54.
So it looks like the most we could move the start time up would be to 6am.
It WILL be HOT once the sun gets up. Ad I'll kill the first person who says ...
It's a dry heat.
Bababooie
--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply

You're a dead man Fred...
You haven't lived until your car battery explodes from the heat. I think this usually happens when you hit the starter and the massive amperage flow starts. Makes quite a mess. Keep a box of baking soda on hand to neutralize the acid
--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply
Fred Shecter wrote:

You haven't lived until you've had it explode in your face (luckily, I had a sink a few steps away...).
David Erbas-White
I remember reading of a planet that was found a few months back. It was said to be somewhat earth sized, but a little too close to it's star to be a vacation spot. It was described as having a liquid nickel rain....and someone said "...but its a dry heat..."
I live in "middle america" where we get some 100 degree days and better than 80% humidity. I don't care how dry it is, 100+ degrees is hot.
-Aaron
The website is now updated. Glad to hear that it was no problem getting the reservation changed. It is important that we capture all the NARAM attendees at the NARAM rate, as the discount of the meeting rooms is tied to the number of people we bring in.
Matt

MUCH better now. Thanks.
Say, I jsut had another question: what time do they start serving the free breakfast every morning. If we're going to start flying at 6:30am, we're going to need breakfast at 5:00-5:30. I doubt they normally start that early. Can you see if they can start earlier the week we're there?
Other than 24x7 restaurants, I doubt many other places will be open for breakfast that early in the morning either.
Man of Steele wrote:

That may make sense when you are young, you will regret it when you get old. All too soon you Arizonians (Arizoners?) will be in the twilight of your lives while the rest of us will be basking in all the daylight we saved over the years!
Dale Greene SPAAR 503

He IS old.