[OT] More requests for personal information

I just finished reading "[OT] The PoliceState has officially arrived" and the theme for today must be "care to hand over some personal information".

About 3PM (CDT) today, a surge came down the Comcast cable line causing my computer to re-boot and fouling up my cable/DSL switch. I reset the switch, re-booted the computer and all was fine. Unknown to me at the time, the 2 digital cable boxes I have were also fouled up. (I was notified by my son who wasn't able to watch cartoons when he got home from school). I tried turning them off and on and unplugging and plugging them back in. Nothing worked. One box just flashes 88:88 intermittently and the power switch does nothing. The other box will show the channel info then switch over to a "snow" picture.

Anyway, I call up Comcast support. They ask for my phone number and name to verify customer information. The next question surprises me.

"Do you want to associate your social security number with your account?"

I said no.

My problem didn't get resolved. They tried resetting the boxes, etc. Nothing worked, so now a tech has to come out. I'll be curious to see if the tech asks me the social security number question, again.

Reply to
J-o-h-n

Last I heard, congress passed a privacy law that made doing that illeagal unless it was a IRS or HR function.

but, who knows now.

Reply to
almax

I'd like to know what law that is. I have way too many folks demand my SSN, from doctors to phone companies to pizza places. And a former employer who gave it out to just about anyone who asked for it, even though I demanded that they keep it private and only release it where REQUIRED by law.

You don't have to provide it on any government form unless the OMB privacy notice is present, and it states what law REQUIRES the information and what happens if you don't give it. Look at your IRS form 1040 for a sample. Otherwise it is illegal for any one to refuse to provide you with any service for withholding it.

BTW, until our congressjerks passed the "deadbeat dad" law requiring SSN with all federal licences, SSN was OPTIONAL even on the LEUP application. I got mine without it. When the agent asked for it, I said no, and pointed to the star marking it voluntary. She asked how she was supposed to run a background check without it. I responded that I guess that was her problem. I suspect they got it somehow from some other source (illegally of course), but they never got it from me.

Bob Kaplow

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news:WVcQ2J5W0ae+@eisner.encompasserve.org:

I don't have a cite, but my understanding is that the law re: SSN only applies to government agencies. It prohibits them from requiring the SSN unless there's ample justification for needing it. I don't think the law prevents them from asking for it, however.

For non-government organizations, including any business, they can ask for or require anything they want. You have no obligation to give it to them, but they have no obligation to do business with you if you refuse.

Reply to
David W.