[OT] Veterans Day

I just want to thank all the Veterans, and current military members, who frequent this board for their service to our country.

Mario

Reply to
Mario

You're welcome.

Bill Sullivan, SSgt, USAF, 1970 - 1977

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Thank you for my son who will be spending ALL of 2007 in Afghanistan:

Sgt. Alex Kramer

82nd Airborne 307th Combat Engineers Ft. Bragg, NC

Les Kramer PROUD Father

Reply to
Les Kramer

May the Lord bless your son, keep him and his comrades safe from all harm, and return them safely home.

Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Thanks, Vietnam Vet.

Here is a short story I have writen.

You had been in Washington DC and on one day had gone and seen some of the sights around town. It was late in the afternoon when you reached the Vietnam War Wall, with all the names of those who died or who where missing.

You had been looking at the names when you noticed an old man off to one side. He was dressed in what was left of a uniform, he was looking at the names, he reached out and touched one name and a sadness come to his face and tears fell to the ground. He then turned away and as he did so your eyes met with his and in them a fire burned almost as bright as the sun. He walked up to you, he handed you a packet, "This is all that is left of my son, I want you to take it home and look in it and the rest will be left to you". He turned, took a step and died as he fell to the ground in from of his sons name.

That night on the news there was a short note about an old man who had died by the wall and by his ID, his sons name was at the place he had died, that he had no other living people. You looked over at the table where the package sat, walking over to it, you had to wonder what was in it.

Opening it up you found the paperwork to access a bank account, to pay for him to be creamented, and the paperwork to take his ashs to vietnam.

Months later you found yourself getting out of a car by a large open field, the driver said he'd return in an hour and he drove off. You walked out into the field, you had already noticed that none of the local farmers used this land, that only low brush and wildflowers grew there now. But by the map you held you knew that you where standing in the place where the 4th Inf. base camp, this was where the mans son had died in battle but his body had never been returned home. For a short while you just stood there, then you looked at the sun, it was just starting to set in the west, Dragon Mountain seemed to become a tall flame, you reached down and opened the box and let the mans ashs fall into the wind and to the ground. Just as the last rays of the sun started to fade it happened, the wind died away, but the sound of taps being played floating across the field, you look around and there standing on a buncker was a young man with nothing but pants and a flack jacket on, as he stood there another image formed beside him, it was the old man and he had on a battle uniform from WWWII, they both turned to a flag pole where the flag of the USA was slowly going down.

Then it all faded away, and you where left standing in the field, you looked and the headlights of the car was coming down the road, so you walked to it and as it pulled up, you got in and it turned around and headed back.

A week later you stood at the wall again, and you laid down some pressed flowers you had picked in that field, no one else was around as the day had been a rainy and cold one, but you had needed to go there. As you looked up, the name blazed and the image of father and son looked at you and smiled. They faded away and you knew that they where together now and they would stand guard in that field until the end of time itself. You would never forget them either.

Reply to
Starlord

Yes, return them all safely home; it looks like that may be sooner rather than later now that God has spoken in this most recent election.

...A...

Reply to
Der_Red_Max

God...is that a new term for the electorate?

Reply to
Tweak

"Vox populii, vox deii." Latin for "How the hell did we get into this mess?"

Bill "Survived Catholic School" Sullivan

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." - Jerry Garcia

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Fixed it for you.

;-)

Reply to
Tweak

If God had meant us to vote, he'd have given us candidates.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I have to wonder what our strategy would have been if Jenna and Barbara Bush were both Marines serving in Iraq?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

The elections are over, so can we all drop the political nonsense?

Besides, my feelings are hurt as I didn't get a rise out of low quarters.

;-)

Reply to
Tweak

I don't think it would be easy for you to get a riseout of Bill "low quarters." Did Army guys get low quarters? 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

Yeah, we just never got to wear them. It's those AF guys who don't get issued the combat boots.

Let's see if that works.

;-)

Reply to
Tweak

You said something insulting?

Bill Sullivan

"Send air support! Now!" - Battle cry of Army Special Forces

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

No, it was supposed to be humorous. A jibe, as it were.

Reply to
Tweak

Combat boots had this inconvenient problem of dissolving whenever exposed to hydraulic fluid. Or JP4.

Bill Sullivan

Remember back in the 60's when the kids said "Make Love, Not War"? In the Air Force we figured out how to do BOTH!

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Yes, those poor blighters in the trenches. Pity. :-)

Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

We didn't have that problem with our super-duper Taiwanese special combat boots. Impervious to everything, including comfort.

Reply to
Tweak

No actually I beleive propoganda works wonders for those who do not have all the facts. The Media in general leans to the left, just where the democrats lean. They both then feed you only the information they want you to have and put their spin on it. Watch how many people have exactly the opinion they saw on the news and no other. Then come talk to me about what morons live in this country. This is exactly how they let you form your opinon on the current Republican control. If they let you know that the econemy was really doing quite well, Al Quida had not attacked this country in the last 5 yrs, and there were advances being made in the lives of everyday Iraqi's How could you vote for the party that represents their view? It is not who is in control at the moment or what is the truth. It is how they present it to you and how it makes you feel. No I do not agree with everything that is going on. I belive that the Republicans shot themselves in the foot by acting like spend and tax democrats before. I really am begining to believe they both need put out to pasture.

Dennis

Reply to
D&JWatkins