Piston Launchers and higher engine classes

Another thought here, the sabot sections must not melt when subjected to the exhaust gasses. Foam will melt unless sealed with something. How about using mat spray over the foam and then laying down a layer or two of aluminum foil? Or, what about making the sabot sections out of balsa? Or, gee I really like this one, making them out of shirt backing or tablet backing and coating them with epoxy? Remember, they are primarily spacers. The ring at the bottom will do the sealing.

Reply to
Reece Talley

But wont they be tossed up in the air while they just start to melt ?

I was thinking of pink foam. Used as ejection charge plugs in rocket competition already.

Reply to
ArtU

I believe it is commonplace for APCP motors as noted by Jerry. It's my understanding that the larger the motor the larger the core. Therefore the longer it takes to pressurize the core's void.

So the 'fraction of a second' is a function of the size of the motor.

As to the effects on a piston launcher, I've never used one or seen one used, but I could see the 'fraction of a second' burn cause the effects detailed below.

Ken Baldwin CAR S825 replace nospam with telus to reply

Reply to
Ken Baldwin

It will be interesting if you get the piston launcher to work for the BBL.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Art, LDRS BBL altitude. $1000 gets lots of people thinking.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

I've seen it on FGH, have not flown enuf E's to be sure. I had to learn this in order to take those liftoff shots I do so well (look at zak orions descon entry)

hmmm or designing the piston size to account for it

Reply to
tater schuld