Re: Cooper's hawk!

cool.... I always wanted a trained falcon or hawk to recover my rockets for me.... hehehehehe

shockie B)

I had a very cool encounter today with a young Cooper's hawk. While driving on > a busy road not far from home, I noticed an object on the sidewalk. Just as I > was passing I realized it was a hawk, just sitting on the pavement right next > to traffic! Obviously something was not right so I pulled over and ran back to > where he was. Turned out it was a young hawk, near-adult but still unable to > fly. Sure enough, there was a nest high in the tree overhead. > > Well, I couldn't leave him there. There was no brush for him to hide in, and he > could have easily ended up in the street and been run over. So I caught him. > Kept clear of the beak but could not avoid the claws -- ouch! They certainly > have a powerful grip, and my hand ended up feeling like a pincushion. But it > was worth it to keep him from possibly being killed. Not to mention being cool > as all get-out to be able to actually hold such a magnificent creature! > > My wife wrapped him in a towel and helped me pry the claws from my hand, then > we drove home and put him in a cardboard box. Called Project Wildlife, a local > animal rescue organization, and they had me bring him in to their facility > where he will be fed and cared for until he can be released back into the wild. > > > Cooper's and the very similar "sharp-shinned" hawks occasionally hang out near > our feeders, hoping to catch sparrows and other small birds. > > > >
Reply to
shockwaveriderz

You wanna laugh???? I trained my rabbit to fetch!

Going to score one of those MicroMax starter kits this weekend. I think my backyard is big enough for MicroMax and Ozzy :)

'the triple-R unit has been prepped....T-minus 10....'

Ted Novak TRA#5512

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Reply to
nedtovak

Of course the next thing to do is to train him to "shoot down" the competitions rockets...

Bob Kaplow

Aloha, A quick note about hawks. DO NOT PUT OUT RAT POISON FOR PIGEONS!!!!!!!!! We had a Coopers hawk here that was feeding off of the local pigeon population. Someone put out rat poison to kill off the pigeons. The Hawk got a bad pigeon, and died. I fear that is why you were able to catch the Hawk. I hope like hell that I am wrong.

Take Care, Larry

Reply to
AkaZilla

Yeah, that's why I don't use poisons against rats either -- you never know what beneficial animal may be affected by it.

Nope, he was in excellent health, just a little too young. I think he probably would have been flying on his own in a couple more days, but doubt he would have survived that long on the ground.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Geez, have any children, Steve? From a theoretical and scientific view I can see your point, but we're mostly human here; lighten up.

And I DO keep exotic birds, and we DO worry about hawks taking them, sometimes right off our shoulders. Happens several times a year, somewhere in the country - but I'd still have picked the little guy up.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Ya did good. I just asked one of our African Greys what she thought, and she said "Whooo!" Even the birds agree.

Rob

(Ok, so I didn't ask Chauncey the Moluccan Cockatoo. He's the one that freaks out when there are raptors on TV. Of course, he also freaked out when Donald Trump was on TV - I think he thought the hairpiece was some kind of vicious animal eating the Donald's head.)

Reply to
Rob Carr

I would have too, Scott. And I'm sure Ray did so out of compassion for the bird, not to screw up darwinism or create havoc and carnage for back yard feeders. My comment was tounge in cheek mostly, but also to point out the irony of our compassion sometimes. It made me think of a show I watched about animal babies. The wild dogs of Africa hunted down and slowly killed a baby gazelle, then fed their cute little pups with the meat. Hard to chose sides in that one.

steve

Reply to
default

Rob Carr wrote: he also freaked

I'TS NOT?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Glad to her it; that 'ol tongue-in-cheek is a little hard to hear over the internet sometimes.

You know, even us bird nuts have our limitations. I recall few years ago a breeder I know going to incredible effort and expense to save a baby macaw that was crushed in the nest (by the parents, and by accident - happens sometimes) Virtually every bone in both legs was broken; while it could be helped somewhat, it was clearly going to be a cripple for the next... perhaps half a century or more?

I suggested mightn't it be easier to just let it go, and was nearly drummed out of the club.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert