Re: Prototype 'M' motor test flight entirely successful

You should file more patents. Plenty of opportunities to use words like "plethora". A plethora of opportunities, in fact :-)

Reply to
Marcus Leech

The now TRA certified Rattworks L600 & M700 uses only one 3/8 X-Flo injector. Both have initial thrusts of 250 lbs Dave ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dave Griffith NAR 14156 The R.A.T.T.-works Monterey Machine Products

1504-A Industrial Park Street Covina, CA 91722 U.S.A.
MONTMACH

Hey at least you clearly know who to blame and you can stand in line to punch him ot or buy him a beer at LDRS-Canada :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I bow to thee, O master Dave.

Jerry

Not below a little idolitry.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Feel free to express your rocket art in whatever form you desire...

Reply to
Marcus Leech

What's the burn time? When will we see thrust curves? People are ogling the pictures on flyhybrids.org and sending me hungry emails!

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

Sure it is, but overkill means a huge margin of error and less CATO's. Especially for EX guys. I've run 115's WAY higher than 1200psi.....

It is also standard size drawn tubing and uses standard casting and liners... you have to weigh time vs. motor mass.

-D

Reply to
Darren Wright

If you run high pressures in thick cases you will reintroduce fragment hazards that were designed out of reloadable motors by Jerry Irvine and Scott Dixon.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The other components to carry would be a rubber sleeve and a flanged aluminum bushing to adapt "standard" 98mm hardware to your new tubes.

Reply to
Eric Pederson

No unfortunately not. Everything is on the table. And that scares me.

Jerry

Question authority.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:27:06 GMT, Jerry Irvine is alleged to have written:

[re: "98mm" tubing actually being closer to 101mm diameter]

Now *that* would be fun to watch.

- Rick "From a distance" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

It's one of the few motors I have NOT flown one with.

Do it at NARAM?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The final configuration for the 'M' will be about 6.5 seconds, and about 10 seconds for the 'N' version (yes, the 'N' version).

I know that I plan to eventually cert the 100mm motors, but as you know, the PentaMax is higher priority.

I'm glad folks are enjoying the pix and video. There'll be a version of this motor series at LDRS next year, powering an odd-roc by Mark Simpson.

Quite frankly, I want to do more work on the injector before I'm really happy. Despite the "holy craps" elicited by that motor in Dave Ross's vehicle a couple of weeks ago, I will release no motor before I'm fully happy with it. You know how I am :-)

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Damn! I thought you were talking about my motors, and you were talking about Dave (Hybrid God) Griffiths. I should have scrolled down more. Well, I feel sheepish :-(

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Don't apologise, I was going to ask you about it anyway.... the thread sort of got hijacked. I'll add the info to the flyhybrids page I'm building for those great stills you sent me.

Reply to
Doug Pratt

I have faith that your ideas and creativity for yet more depraved oddrocks is nearly endless. However I for one would like to see whatever oddrock you favor most extended to full scale (or better).

Some guy is launching a 1.07 scale Black brant :)

Hybrids such for oddrocs because they burn too long and non-parallel.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

C'mon Marcus. I'm planning my L4 at LDRS in 2005. Will it be ready then? Or should I plan on building for a different motor? I liked how this motor screamed. Standing on the ground there, it sounded like the motor tube was ringing. Or to put it another way: I want one.

Rob

--------------------------------------- Visit Cole Fired Rockets at:

Cole Fired Pinball at:

Robert Cole

We need to hear this about 2000 more times.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

some deleted

I have flown one of my favorite oddroc in a full-scale version, the FTBOD. You can't get any more scale than using the real thing. The GF Clock will also be full-scale, but I fear would be a bit heavy for a hybrid. A redone traffic barrel that tips the scale well below the original's 75-80 pounds (with motor) is very doable. Since Marcus' motor is a non-standard 100mm, I have to redo the FTBOD's substructure anyway. This time, instead of using concentric rings with vertical supports for the subframe, I'll use stepped vertical sheets of plywood with minimal amount of centering rings. And, if my cousin comes through, I may attempt to use high tech carbon fiber lattice fins on this one instead of one large ringfin.

Mark Simpson

I don't see any reason that I can't have some 102mm motors ready for LDRS 2005, or even Roc Lake 2004, if I get committed orders for a dozen or so.

The only change I'm planning to make is to change the injector pattern to reduce the flow fraction that's going down the core, and bring the bulk of the flow closer to the walls of the fuel grain. HDPE regresses quite slowly, and I'd like to get a more optimal O/F to improve the Isp.

Reply to
Marcus Leech