Re: rockets from scratch?

Build a couple of Estes kits first, then you'll get a good idea of what would be involved in scratchbuilding.
J.A. Michel

where I

On 24 Jul 2003 00:15:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rattlesnake9585) wrote:

Try: http://www.esteseducator.com/cfusion/publications.cfm
In here is the Model Rocketry Technical Manual and a few other publications that may be of use. I started designing and scratch building with just the technical manual.
    Rob --------------------------------------- Visit Cole Fired Rockets at: http://members.shaw.ca/cfrockets Visit Cole Fired Pinball at: http://members.shaw.ca/cfpinball
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Rattlesnake9585) wrote:

This is a logical disconnect.
AIR-10. Order it from Apogee components.

Woah! Careful there buddy! :)
Jerry
Try the Tech Rocket kit from www.acsupplyco.com . Make your own tubes, fins from balsa, etc ... Estes nosecone.
David S. Chen

A kit for a scratch-built rocket? When was the definition of scratch-built changed?

I'd call it a collection of ready-made parts. I wouldn't call a rocket made from those parts scratch-built.

cutting
No, that'd be plans-built.

No, you can build your own design by buying balsa and cutting it to length and call it scratch-built.

So if I buy an Estes (or LOC or mailing) tube and cut it to length, that's not scratch built? I guess I don't understand what part of the Estes grab bag you consider not scratch built? If I just glue the parts together, even though it's of my own design? If I cut the fins out?
Joel. phx
I consider my level 2 'scratch built'. Based on the look of BSD Rocketry's Apache (and Estes spirit), I designed the fins from enlargements of the Spitfire wingtips (and a little zerox x,y zoom magic). Used off the shelf body and motor tubes, rail buttons, parachute, couplers and 2 nosecones. Fins, and 2 of the 4 centering rings were handcut. Tailcone and bodytube hand slotted.
Scratch?
Alt-bay based on other's designs, but handbuilt from off the shelf couplers, a section of hand cut body tube, and homemade caps.
Scratch?

even
Rocketry's
of
and
couplers,
The terms "kit-built", "plans-built", and "scratch-built" have been around longer than I've been involved in modeling, which is some forty years. As far as I can recall their accepted meanings have not changed in that time. Perhaps as you gain experience in the hobby you'll come to have a better understanding of them.

Don't end up like what? Did I start out what way?

made from those parts scratch-built.<<
I would.
J.A. Michel

But do you have "40 years" of experience? If not, your opinion is irrelevant,... ;)
Joel. phx

No.
According the previous post, this would be correct, sir. ;-)
J.A. Michel

As would I. If you open a box/bag, and build what's inside, that's a kit. Anything else is scratch. Including cloning a kit or building from a magazine plan.
An Original Design probably implies scratch built, and more.
A few things worth mentioning (if they haven't already):
-BMS (Balsa Machining Service) http://www.balsamachining.com/ offers a good, well-priced selection of body tubes, centering rings & other components in addition to nose cones & transitions (& custom balsa turning at very reasonable prices).
-An excellent book for designing & building your own rockets is: "Model Rocket Design And Construction" http://www.apogeerockets.com/design_book.asp It's well worth the cost. I got it when I became a Born Again Rocketeer & it gave me the knowledge & confidence to become the reknowned & admired scratch-builder I am now (geez...sorry for all the self-agrandizement).
-JimZ Plans http://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm offers old Estes & Centuri plans (instructions with fin patterns, parts list, & decals scans). Though not technically scratch-building, it's still a more wide range of choices than today's kits at a lower price. -- Richard "geez...sorry for all the...." Hickok
Like this?
http://nar.org/images/papertig.gif
John
-- John Stein KC4RLL NAR 74335 Sr L2 President - SEARS 572 http://www.sears572.com