Re: TIMES SQUARE BALL HAPPYNEWYEAR

Personally, I'd rather pay for OS X (and I have) than fool around with

> Linux anymore. I used Linux (Mandrake 6.something through 9.something > daily at my office law practice and on one of my machines at home for > about three years. It was fun to play with and I could manage to do > everything I needed to do (eventually), but too much of what I was > doing basically came down to tweaking shit just to get stuff done as > opposed to doing the work. > > For the folks who think playing with the overall system is as much fun > as actually using the computer, Linux is great. For people who want > the power of the command line with actual out-of-the-box usability, OS > X is the answer.

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Kurt! I was wondering where you got off to. Oh, it was me that was in the land of the lost, right? Uh, well, I am trying to get back into the swing of things. How's life?

By the way, what's up with "Tweak"?

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Kurt never got over being on Buck Rogers. ; )

Beedy Beedy Beedy!

Randy

<randyolb

Life is very good. Had a little boy back in November, so not much free time (or sleep) right now. How about yourself?

Maybe make a day trip to one of the lightly attended launches in GA.?

Psuedonyms and "X-No-Archive: yes" are the order of the day now. I am not really trying to hide who I am, but I don't want it to be obvious to the uninitiated, either.

Reply to
Tweak

No, haven't had any boys myself. Hard to believe you did. Did you get very big? Heh heh heh. Congratulations on the son. Keep in mind, he's the right size for a payload right now...

I've been lurking around, looking at who's doing what on the Web as it relates to rocketry. The Rocketry Forums are a great playground, are they not? By the way, what's up with ROL? You'd think the new owner could get an opinion article or something, something other than just cut-and-paste ads for the site. Maybe I should write an opinion article...I bet you it wouldn't get posted.

You never know where I might show up...

Understood...

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

That's right, you have been out of the scene for a bit. His big sister (just over 3) would probably love to toss him in a payload bay. ;-)

Haven't messed with the rocketry forums and must admit I have not visited ROL in a couple of years. Gave up on that long ago.

Indeed, you SHOULD write an article. I would pay a visit for that.

Reply to
Tweak

This I find totally amazing and utterly ridiculous at the same time, no slight on you. What was once the premiere hobby rocketry website in the world has become a destination that regular flyers "gave up on ... long ago."

For five years I have been forced to sit on the sidelines and not comment because Brent takes it personally when someone says something bad about him. In the spirit of things, I just stayed out of sight. In the mean time, the asset that I poured my blood, sweat and tears into has turned into a toxic dump site - unsuitable for human habitation.

It is beyond me how you can kill the best thing the hobby had going, but apparently this group of Nevada twits are capable of screwing anything up.

Even Jerry couldn't have screwed up ROL this badly.

P.S. Your mailserver is reporting that news44 as a user doesn't exist. Didn't we go through this before?

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

It got to where it was nothing but product announcements and a group of sanctimonious "holier than thous" on the message board.

I don't know if I would word it that strongly. Boring would my choice.

ROTFLMAO

Oops. Alias was only incremented through news43.

Reply to
Tweak

I would.

Correct.

Jerry

Jerry Irvine

jerry, Don't be so modest, Everyone here knows you're a much bigger screwup than you take credit for. Maybe for a change, you could step up and take the beati... er, credit that is coming to you.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Even product announcements can be good, but even those were turned into nothing but blatant advertisements for vendors. By the way, I can think of NO GOOD REASON that a vendor should have a need for a product announcement unless they are the manufacturer as well. Announcing a 20% off special is not news, its an ad.

Boring is the nice word for it. F#%$ed up is more appropriate.

;-)

I thought we had this fixed. At least you are on top it...

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

See, Jerry and I agree on some things. ROL is hosed. Blogging before blogging was even invented.

Jerry, why didn't you respond to my email?

Damn. Two things. What's hobby rocketry coming to?

This proves my point -- the ATF put a lot of weight into what ROL and its editor had to say. Lends credence to my claim that Rocketry Online was the highest trafficked hobby rocketry website in the world (as well as the leading hobby rocketry authority on the Internet). Now it's just a place for free rocketry auctions and a shill mouthpiece for select manufacturers.

By the way, Jerry, I don't see the ATF quoting you on anything. Can that mean anything or is it just an oversight?

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Maybe it's time for:

Keeping up with throwaway usenet accounts is pretty low on my list of priorities. Don't you have one of my real email addresses?

Reply to
Tweak

Correct.

Correct.

BTW thanks again Darrell for that monumental effort.

They put ALOT of effort into falesely trying to redefine their own regulations 27 CFR 555.141-a-8 and 27 CFR 555.141 definition of PAD.

:)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Do you think the world is ready for a NEW ROL-type site? I can see one with more blog-style columns, RSS feeds and other "current" web-based features. A real online community.

Uhhh ... no.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Thanks, but those are all past tense as it now stands. Sad, for the hobbyists. :-(

You're welcome, I just wished it hadn't been all for vain...

You *are* talking about the people who live to obsfucate by way of 'codifying'. It's the infamous "Hey! Look over there!" shell game. Unfortunately, for most hobbyists, the hobby is doomed in these days of American's so eager to exchange their liberty for safety.

...more true now than ever before.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Maybe?