Rocket Motor Explodes, Injuring Owner

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kgtv/20060129/lo_kgtv/3225282

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

"while tamping the powder into the engine with a brass hammer"
Visions of Wile Coyote now dance in my brain, adding a fog of humor to the dizzy spells.
--
Tweak

Did he use a precision scale?
"Jim" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:42:00 GMT, "Fred Shecter"
Oh, just use about half a Flintstone's juice glass...
That'll do 'er...
<g>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

Woo hoo woo hoo hooo..
<g>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
Jim wrote:

Dumb idiot. Gives Research a bad name.
AKS
Kurt wrote:

Are You referring to His use of a hammer?
Dave Grayvis wrote:

Yeah Dave,
On second thought the hammer was stupid. Should have used a wooden dowel rod as that is what I used in fountains and roman candle kits. My mom wouldn't let my brother or I get the M-80/ash can/silver salute kits available in the late '60's and early '70's. Damn, would have made some serious noise. :)
Kurt Savegnago
Kurt wrote:

That's what I thought. It's common practice to use a hammer in the ramming process of making bp motors.
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net says...

It still smacks of Wile Coyote checking shells for duds with a hammer.
--
Tweak

As opposed to a smart one? ; )
I know lots of those.
Randy www.vernarockets.com

I'm surprised they did not arrest him for terrorism... If he lived in CA they would have arrested him and put him on $100,000 dollars bail. That happened to some teens here awhile ago. On Halloween 2 years ago some teens went to the high school football field and put some fire crackers in a plastic pumpkin they bought and lit them off. A lady who lived across the street called the police and they arrested them and put them on $50,000 bail. The parents had to pay the bail to get their kids out.. The DA prosecuted them and it took almost a year to get things straitened out. I figure that if fire crackers are worth $50,000 bail then surely making your own pipe bomb would be worth $100,000 bail.
KT
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

A rocket motor is not a pipe bomb. What the kid's did was intentional, the incident with the rocket motor was an accident that occurred in his own garage.

I agree, But in CA it does not matter. It would have been a pipe bomb.
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

California, a whole other country...(:-)
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

Where was it? The Yahoo article just said Oceanside, which I initially assumed WAS in CA.
Doug
Yes, it is in California.
KGTV is in San Diego.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117
http://www.sirius.com /
Doug Sams wrote:

Yep, CA. Oceanside is in northern San Diego county.

I'll bet this is not the last we will hear of this. But if it is this guy is awful lucky not to get charged for anything.
KT