SAFETY QUESTION - possibly "ALERT"

or just put a bigger motor in it....

steve :)

Reply to
default

no offense man but I am glad I don't fly at your field. having me use a farther away pad for "questionable" rockets and limiting thrust etc. is one thing but banning them. that would irk me.

the solution is easy. tape a nickel to the nose. masking tape wrap around with nickel inside.

problem fixed. its just a sensitive CG issue. if they use too much glue or reinforce the bottom end it results in a slight CG push.

you can also ditch one of the chutes. that might be enough. better to just tape a nickel to the nose. or limit it to B engines. b's weigh about half what a C does. that might be enough.

or better. test like you should. Proper CG. make one. slowly add mass to the rear till it goes squirrly. mark that CG location..RSO note all gemini DC's must have CG forward of this noted mark.

prefer to fix them if

message

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

No. It is a dynamic stability issue.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No offense man but I'm glad you don't fly at our field too. At the field where Fred is RSO there is extreme fire danger virtually year round. If they aren't pro-active towards preventing problems, they lose the only field in all of the southern California urban area (note -- I'm not counting the desert areas, only the urban area for model rockets).

You haven't lived until you've seen a 30-mile fire line, advancing towards your house...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Could be they just get "stuck" in the air. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Or, since the rockets are already built, a quick mix of 5 minute epoxy, and some BB's, can be poured in from the aft end of the rocket, with out a motor installed of course ;-)

David

Reply to
Dlogan

Dave already explained the field.

I will repeat something you seem to be repeatedly missing with the "tape a nickel inside" comments: The models show up already built. The nose cone is cemented in place. You cannot add nose weight if you cannot access the nose (unless you add a "clown nose of clay" to the top.

I add clay to people's nose cones all the time. It's part of our "Safety Advisory" warnings about some models that must be fixed. There is only one rocket banned - the foam orbiter. It cannot be reliably fixed - period. We tried everything and are tired of using up fire extinguishers to put out the fires caused by it. Other "scary" models can be flown with caution, limited motor selection or noted repairs. We trade/provide the correct motors (i.e. if the 'average Joe shows up with a Saturn V and a D12-7 because he thinks a D12-7 is more powerful than a D12-3, we trade for the D12-3 and EXPLAIN why the D12-7 is a danger to his rocket and to the launch site and the people at the launch site).

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Humid air is thinner (less dense). It only feels thick.

Reply to
JIM

I agree with Chris. This is an easy fix. (note to Fred: He's saying to tape a nickle to the nose cone. The tape and nickle are both on the outside of the nose cone. The tape is wrapped around the nickle. Hence, the nickle is "inside" the tape.

The part about the CG is just so simple, and so accurate, I don't know why we don't do this with all "iffy models". Like the Mini Magg and Fat Boy, if built wrong or modified, their stability can be questioned and not easily verified. A simple list of minimum CG locations would be an easy on the feild, go/ no-go gauge.

steve

Reply to
default

Average 350 feet ASL here.

John

Reply to
John Stein

Idea: a suitable metal nut/washer with a safety pin or rubber band to secure to the eyelet on the nose cone.

Worked in a pinch on my Custom Rockets Servo.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Fred Shecter wrote:

nickel inside"

place. You cannot

- the foam

tired of using

can be flown

he thinks a

the D12-7 is a

Reply to
nedtovak

I will repeat (for the 5th time)something you seem to be repeatedly missing with the "tape a nickel inside" comments (and now the suggestion to access the eyelet on the nose cone): The models show up already built. The nose cone is cemented in place. You cannot add nose weight if you cannot access the nose (unless you add a "clown nose of clay" to the top.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

How about keeping a few properly weighted 'loaner' nose cones in your range box - just in case someone shows up needing one.

9 GMT, "Fred Shecter" wrote:

fix them if

Reply to
Phil Stein

Is it possible to add an "epoxy & bb's" mixture through the aft end of the center tube? If you look up the motor mount of the finished model, can you see through to the nose cone, or is there an obstruction that would prevent getting the weight mixture up against the base of the nose cone through the back of the model?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

No offense man but if the fire risk is that high why fly there ?

when I go to the field if its looks to dry I go home. not worth starting a fire.

what if you have a cato ?

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Fred I was being literal

just below the nose cone. the round tube. wrap tape around it except include a nickel under the tape

LITERALLY tape a nickel to the nose man :-) hehe.

I do it all the time if a kit brings up a rocket of questionable stability.

no need to remove the nose cone (I know its glued on) just "tape" a nickel to the nose... literally :-) hehehe

sorry for the confusion I assumed I was clear on that :-)

nickel inside"

place. You cannot

banned - the foam

tired of using

models can be flown

because he thinks a

why the D12-7 is a

message

in

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

FYI reread my post. did NOT say tape INSIDE nose cone (you cant its glued on :-). I said tape ONTO the nosecone :-) IE right on the outside of the top of the tube. just tape it on. Electrical tape works great for this but you need at least 2 wraps (to make sure it does not peel off on its own :-)

does not look all that pretty but it sure does the job well enough :-)

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

That is what I do when I RSO'd

I can eyeball most rockets and I have built most rocket so if the CG seems off from what I built etc.. I strap on some noseweight. better safe than sorry :-) for a rocket sensitive like this hell it would be fun just messing with it for a day to find the "minimum" CG etc.. I would have a ball doing it :-)

hey fred. I DID NOT know about your fire hazard issue. IE I did not know that was why you "banned" certain rockets etc..

honestly I thought you or your club was just anal about certain rockets and just banned them outright. :-)

Safety is always first. Period. end of discussion.

Chris Taylor

tape a nickle to

cone. The tape is

wrong or modified,

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Except with the Gemini the nose cone is glued into place.

:-) for a time I had some light stick tape that was clear IE would not peel off paint etc..

I had lead mass that I cut up into slim "bars" so I could strap it onto a rocket and you would not even "see" it from more than 10 feet away really unless you were looking for it. weighed quite a bit more than a nickel (bout

3 or 4 nickels I would guess) and was perfect for this task.

tape it on launch give it back when your done :-)

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Got it. I would go with the clay Bozo nose or add fins. 30 years ago a wrap of lead tape would have been considered OK. (So were the asbestos blast deflector covers) Not a good idea.

Reply to
Fred Shecter