sources for kevlar or nomex thread?

Does anyone have a source for kevlar and/or nomex thread? TIA

Reply to
nitram578

Yes. I've bought several spools from a manufacturer/mill. It depends on how much you're looking for and what strength.

Are you looking for a little bit to build with or use in your own models or are you looking for spools full to make kits or re-sell?

What strength? As an example, the size used in Quest kits is T-400 and has a strengh of 135 lbs and there are about 950 yards(!) per pound.

Here is the secret info for all the world to see:

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

Reply to
Will Marchant

Kevlar is on allocation right now with military having first access.

That situation may ease a bit in 6 mo to a year.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

And an even bigger secret....

Buy it to your heart's content...the gov'mint ain't gonna stop ya!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Tuskes

Also, Doug Pratt is a great person to do biz with.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Thank you very much, Phil.

Anyone looking for Kevlar has to keep in mind what it will be used for. If you are fishing or knitting with it, WalMart is a source. That Kevlar has a finish coat of lubricant (the "glazed" that you see on the Saunders Thread page that Fred linked to) to make it run through spinning reels and sewing machines easier. For rocket purposes, where we would like our knots to stay tied and glue to stick to the Kevlar, this is un-good. Saunders is one of the three companies I deal with, and they are excellent. Anyone who wants to buy Kevlar thread or yarn in quantity will find them a good company to do business with.

Doug Pratt dad-at-pratthobbies-dot-com

Phil Ste> >

Reply to
pratthobbies