Testing an Ejection Charge

hey!

I just recently recieved a 12 inch hexagonal nomex sheet and .25" kevlar cord for my clustered fatboy....i'm using 9 oz. in the nose cone..putting a

110 db personal security alarm in the rocket and a 24 inch parachute....i want to test if 3 d motors will eject all this crap outta a 2.6" tube...this test is gonna cost me 12 bucks =(!!!, but it's needed... what it a good way to retain the rocket while the motors are burning? or is there another method i should use to do this test....or should i just have faith and launch the rocket to 800 feet and hope the ejection charges work?

Thanks,

-Vishal

Reply to
Vishal

I have done this with single engine ABC Estes engines by taping the model to its launch pad rod win several places with tape...... I suppose the same concept would work if you staked the pad down ?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Don't bother with the ground testing and save yourself a few motors. In a FatBoy, the area that is pressurized by the ejection charge is relatively small. It does not take much BP to do the job. I would not worry about it, especially with three ejection charges.

What I would worry about is the 9oz of nose weight. That seems like an awful lot. I have a 3x24 cluster Fatboy, and the entire rocket weighs 7oz empty - this includes .062" G-10 fiberglass fins. My nosecone weighs 3oz total, and the rocket flies nice and stable.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L2

J.A. Michel

Hi Vishal, My son and I have a pair of FatBoys that operate in the steriod mode. His is a single 24mm mount that goes quite fast on a G55. There is about 1 1/8 oz nose weight in his. If flies fine on all 24mm motors. Mine is the FastFat. It has a 29mm motor mount. On my first test flight, it warbled real good coming off the rod on a G64. I dumped another two shotgun shells of pellets in for a total of 3 3/8 oz. Now it is a stable flyer on the G64 and G125 motors.

If you are really worried about ejection charge forces, then do a simple and cheap test. Install an A8-3 motor in one tube. Wrap it with masking tape to provide a tight fit. Plug teh other motor holes with wads of masking tape or some such. You will be pleasently suprised when the nose cone pops off ample pressure.

steve

Reply to
default