The Rocketry Forum?

Anybody have any idea what's the problem with www.rocketryforum.com ? It's been down for several days. DR

Milo is having connection problems with is ISP. The TRF server resides in his home but that doesn't do us any good unless he has a good pipe to the outside world (us)... :-(
here's to hoping it comes back to us soon! jim
Darian Rachal wrote:

I have suggested to all these cheapskate rocket companies to get good bulletproof offsite servers. I have even offered server space on one of my several servers. But no . . . . .
It is somewhat shocking we even learned WITH PUBLISHED TEST DATA yellow glue is better and stronger than epoxy, something I have been chirping to the senseless sheeple for 3 decades.
Jerry
Jerry,
You are truly God's Gift to Rocketry, nay, to Humankind.
To think that any mortal man could approach the perfection you have attained is truly awe-inspiring.
Thank you oh so very much for making time to share your wisdom with the common man.
--Lance.

Maybe I should put your effusive words on my website for ALL to see :)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:53:45 -0400, "Dick Stafford"

Well said Dick. Having the forum hosted on Milo's machine gives us flexability, and space, that TRF would have to pay through the nose for in the comercial world! We would have to spend the time 'fundraising' for the site's resources, like so many other forums have to do; instead of talking about rocketry.
Like all good things in life, you don't realise how much you enjoy them, until they are not available!
- Cydermaster
- Dan Westley
bingo! and thanx for the reminder!
Dan Westley wrote:

Oh .... how I'm missing the peace and tranquility of TRF. I'm only here 'cos I've got nowhere else to go to talk & read about rocketry.
Any port in a storm, eh? - Only trouble is, this port turns out to be Pearl Harbour! ;-)
- Cydermaster - Dan Westley
Dan Westley wrote:

OK, Dan, I have to ask: A "cydermaster" is proficient at making apple squeezin's?
Doug Thinking with autumn coming soon, a little hot cider with some cinnamon and a shot of bourbon sounds real good right now...

Ask his heirs.
writes:

Sounds like the homebrew equivalent of my favorite, Eiswein!
On 9 Sep 2003 11:21:03 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Sorta, but not quite. Correct me if I'm wrong but, Eiswein is made from frozen grapes thereby upping the sugar content of the resultant juice when they're pressed. The pure water is frozen, and consequently the wine's sweeter with a little higher alcohol content. Applejack is "pre-fermented". When you freeze hard cider, you're essentially "distilling" out the water leaving all of the alcohol, and only a little water (enough to carry the esters that create the "apple" flavor). It ends up being pretty hot stuff!
Interesting effect tho', as when I've done this in the past, the water tends to "float" to the outside of the container and then freeze. What you're left with is roughly like a ball of brown-colored ice with a liquid center where the alcohol has remained. A few times I actually had to "peel" the milk jug away from the ice ball, and tap the thing (like getting milk out of a coconut) with a 16d nail.
It tends to be pretty stiff stuff. I've never measured starting, and ending SpGr, and I've not yet given it the "flame test". Maybe this winter...
<g>
Tod "Oh, Nature's Bounty!" Hilty
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

18--Still Cider
4 gallons fresh, squashed apple cider 4 # Light Brown Sugar 1# Dark Brown Sugar 3 3" Cinnamon sticks 2 tsp nutmeg powder 15 whole cloves run through the grain mill 1 tsp yeast energizer with urea vitamins 10 grams (two packets) Lalvin 71B 11-22 1 tsp potassium sorbate 4 campden tablets
Put three gallons of cider into the carboy (room temp or refrigerated) Warm one gallon cider in sanitized brewpot warm to 100 degrees Remove from burner add sugars and stir After it has dissolved add cloves Add nutmeg, cinnamon stick and energizer to carboy Funnel cider into carboy Add rehydrated yeast Will ferment wildly in primary for two weeks Rack to secondary (you may want to add another quarter tsp nutmeg and 3 more crushed cloves and small cinnamon stick) After all fermenting has ceased boil 2 cups water for 5 minutes add 4 campden tablets and 1 tsp potassium sorbate to bottling bucket then rack cider to bottling bucket bottle
og (est) 1.105 fg .995 Bottled Dec 22-98 Mighty tasty, clear within a week
Now *accidentally* leave a gallon of that on the porch in 10 degree weather and drain the ciderjack--but I believe that's technically distilling, believe it or not, so watch out for the revenuers........potassium sorbate to stop fermentation or it carbonates toward the overpressurisation numbers if left unchecked.......campden to clear.....Lalvin 71 is a high horsepower yeast, but it still needs it's vitamins hence the energizer...
--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:31:27 -0400, Chuck Rudy
<snip original und recipie>
Awsome Chuck! I'll be out in a week or two to pick up my cider! Un's got the juices a'flowin' now! I haven't made it for a few years, but I'm gonna give it a shot this fall. Nice recipie!

Jeez, if it's not APCP, it's a pint or two of high octane...
It'd be nice if those folks in Washington would leave us to our devices...
<vbg>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

Depending on the apples in season it will come in between 12-15% before the freeze.......not too shabby in it 's own right. :-)
Enjoy!
Chuck

--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

If only they had a free, reliable server you could go away and we would all be the happier. Can *I* give someone that free web space so I can stop hearing your incessant whining, that you are on rmr, in an rmr post, of course.
Jerry
Funny, I go to TRF to read about and discuss rockets, I come here to read about the political aspects of the hobby, and laugh at the flame wars. The two forums are very different, each unique and valuable in it's own way. A few weeks ago, someone posted a link to a list of top posters, topics, average number of posters, ect., of RMR. The comment was made that the number of posters, and visitors to RMR has declined quite a bit over the past couple of years. I attribute this to the change of RMR's environment from an informative one when I first started coming here a few years ago, to the hostile, political, wandering environment it is today. Almost every thread goes off topic at some point any more, and quite often, ends up with a bunch of petty arguments. It is a shame to think, that RMR is usually the first place a newbie finds for discussion. I wonder how many newbies, and BARs have stumbled here, only to leave and continue the hobby on their own, without trying to find others in their area to enjoy the hobby with. <rant mode off> David Logan NAR#79313

Probably alot fewer (<100) than have been chased away from HPR by TRA (>15000).
But some to be sure. But how hard core do you have to be to put up with any era of rmr for more than a week before you decide in a fury which it is, stay or go :) ?

--------------040809040209030303000200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Dlogan wrote:

It is censored to only allow what you see. I've stopped posting there because of it. I much prefer an open society.

It compares this period to the same time previous (depending on year, quarter. month etc) recall a year ago the beginning of the lawsuit was hot and heavy. Of course it will not sustain that type of traffic.....check the same site in 6 months, then a year and see where it stands....or maybe everyone will be all talked out!

Some are very entertaining.......I don't and can't read them all, but I do enjoy some of the battle of wits...in other areas at times I learn something new, not an altogether bad thing

I wonder how many just stop in a lurk.......maybe MS will come up with some new spy software ;-) ......or do the already have it?
--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

Yes and I would be free to disagree with it viamently right till they kicked me off too.
Mobley objected to fact posted in opposition to his lies. He wanted free reign to post half truths or non-truths with no effective feedback with full web access to disprove them.
Not many people are that negatively motivated. I can count them on one hand.
Jerry