Thunderbirds.

Just caught the tail end of a commercial on TV for the Thunderbirds (movie?). Some nifty rockets to model:

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Thats the prob with you Yanks....nothing is real until it comes out as a movie. 30 years ago I was watching Thunderbirds ever Saturday morning.

Reply to
Michael Mackay-Blair

Reply to
Michael Mackay-Blair

Funny, I don't expect people in other countries watch the same shows I do here in the states. I've never seen nor heard of 'Stingray' before either.

Joel. phx

Even here in the states there are local shows you might not see elsewhere. In the valley, Wallace and Ladmo was a long running, extremely popular child show (with adult humor) enjoyed by many. I only knew about it because of news reports, so I really had no idea who the gentleman giving me the car ride was. See, we stopped at a McDonalds to grab some breakfast and I noticed a bunch of old cars. Turns out a Ford model A club was meeting and this gentleman offered us a ride. Thinking that a chance like that never happens twice, "YOU BET!". The boys got to ride in the rumble seat (called the same in Au?) and my daughter and I inside. He asked about the kids ages then mentioned they were probably too young to have watched his show. "I was the guy in the derby". My next door neighbor freaked. He lived here all his life and was even on the show several times. "You don't know how lucky you are! You got a ride with Wallace?... in a Model A?!"

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Ya well... I heard on the "Tonight Show" that a boy was born with two hearts. My first thought was that he might be a time lord. Maybe Quatermas should look into that.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Some of us were watching them back in the early 60's including Thunderbirds. As a kid Fireball XLV was my favorite Anderson show but there were others, Sting Ray, Super Car and Terra Hawks, whick BTW was about the silliest one he did.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Ya well you guys have not lived till you have seen joe 90

Reply to
apo11o

And Fireball XL-5, and UFO, and Space 1999. :)

Was Gerry Anderson British?

Reply to
Tim

Then you would probably like "Secret Service".

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Since Fathers' Day, I am the proud owner of the digitally remastered

12-DVD set of the complete run of THUNDERBIRDS. I've been through the whole thing once and am running through it again. You know something? It still works. My kids, to whom Star Wars is ancient history, are fascinated by it. They drag their friends in to watch. They always say the same thing: "They did all that with MODELS?" Well, yeah, there wasn't a lot of CGA work being done in 1966.

I recently saw some SUPERCAR episodes, and they held up pretty well too. Not the classic that THUNDERBIRDS was, but still pretty good. And much better than the cheesy animation and gut-grabbing writing in Pokemon and its ilk.

I am ambivalent about the THUNDERBIRDS movie. When I read the script synopsis, it looked like Spy Kids on Tracy Island. When I saw the new versions of the vehicles, I was impressed. When I saw the trailers, I thought, "This could work." Now I have to see the movie itself. It won't be "classic THUNDERBIRDS," but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be good.

My son Brian has just started to drive, and he picks me up from work after he finishes his job. We have those Nextel cell phones with the walkie-talkie button. The other day my phone beeped and Brian said, "Approaching you from the northeast, ETA two minutes." I replied, "FAB" before I even realized what I was saying. We're still chuckling about it.

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

But it definitely has CGI. They cheated!!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

But did they CGI in the strings?

:-)

Bob Kaplow

That would be the PERFECT DVD alternative version!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Remember how in the original series they would cut from the puppets to a live action hand at the controls? In the film they cut from live action to a model hand at the controls. Nice touch.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Is a bear Catholic?

Reply to
Larry Smith

Does the Pope, err, hmm...

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Cool! I remember Wallace and Ladmo (lived in Flagstaff). ISTR my sister (who lived in Phx) taking me to some shopping center or something to meet them in person...I felt like I was meeting Hollywood celebs (you mean they WEREN'T on worldwide TV?!?)

Reply to
David Stribling

You have 40 years fewer lawyers. You must know SOMETHING!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

They sent the criminals to Australia, not the lawyers.

IIRC Kalifornia got the lawyers. Might as well put them some place where they will fall into the ocean.

Bob Kaplow

Yes, UFO came on here in 1972-73 and Space 1999 a year or two later. I've always been a Martin Landau fan from Mission Impossible to the X- Files movie. He had a great part in that one.

Randy

Reply to
Randy