Carrying models and supplies?

How do you guys cart stuff around to launches? Mark had something that looked like a tackle box to hold engines and other consumables, but I never actually ASKED what it was...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Two tool boxes and one large tackle box.. and several misc things packed between padded rockets and boxes ....

Reply to
FIREMANUP

I carry all kinds of crap...uh...I mean rocket stuff.... in a bunch of different boxes. I actually look for sales at Kmart, Home Depot and Target. Mine happen to be tool boxes and some are Plano brand storage boxes (trays with locking lids that slide into the bin). Rockets get stored in cardboard and/or Rubbermaid containers.....looking at some new ideas though for longer/bigger projects. I got some good Ideas from Fred Z of the TARS group at LDRS....Gonna by me some plywood this weekend ;-)

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Plano "tackle" boxes and Rubbermaid "tool" boxes that become my "rocket" boxes. K-Mart, Wal-Mart and Target have a pretty good selection of both at reasonable prices.

Reply to
Bruce Sexton

Eldred,

Well, basically what ever you can find that will work! I use a big Rubbermaid tub to hold all the Estes type rockets along with extra 'chutes, paper towels, wet wipes etc. A plastic case with a bunch of adjustable compartments for the Estes engines, two metal cases for the bigger motors and a tackle box for tools and other bits and pieces.

But whatever you get, always buy the size twice as big as you think you will ever need. ;)

Tony Haga

Reply to
Tony H.

Eldred,

Well, basically what ever you can find that will work! I use a big Rubbermaid tub to hold all the Estes type rockets along with extra 'chutes, paper towels, wet wipes etc. A plastic case with a bunch of adjustable compartments for the Estes engines, two metal cases for the bigger motors and a tackle box for tools and other bits and pieces.

But whatever you get, always buy the size twice as big as you think you will ever need. ;)

Tony Haga

Reply to
Tony H.

Boxes are OK... but I had to buy a truck...!!!

Reply to
Hippiestew

I must be a rep for Plano with all of their boxes I've used over the years. Get whatever size it takes to hold all your stuff. I've got the biggest box they make. But for local launches most of my stuff goes into one of those big Rubbermaid footlockers. They are VERY durable. Even survive airline flights.

Bob Kaplow

If you think your spending money now wait till you start on the bigger stuff...

L1 clean out your wallet L2 take out a small loan L3 refinance the house

------------------------------------- Jim Chambers NAR 80299 L1

------------------------------------- F.A.R.T. Friendly American Rocket Technologies Friendly American Rocket Team

------------------------------------- Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Jim Chambers

I use a special motorized and wheeled carrying box. The model number is "F150", and it's made by Ford.

- Rick "Big toys need a big toy chest" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

Ooh...hopefully I don't get that deep into it for a LONG time...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Someone else mentioned that WalMart also sold rockets at a decent price. I'll have to remember to stop by the one that's on my way home tomorrow.

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Did you get the rack on top too, for 9 inch by 155 inch motors?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No. It's much easier to ship it as a model aircraft part. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

Hehe... I don't have any plans at the moment to go past a 'G' engine or so. Mid-power rocketry will have to suffice for now...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

We use an old Skamper pop-up trailer. heheh It didn't have the screens/canvas and works great for an old POS. With running water and instant shade ... it's hard to beat. We have it wired for power and plenty o' room for working on any size rocket, not to mention plenty of space for transporting rockets of many sizes.

It travels well even better now that we have rebuilt the roof. For LDRS we were able to fit 3 level threee sized birds and various other L0,L1, and L2 rockets.

We don't use it for the small local launches ... but it is awesome for the big launches that last a few days.

Otherwise ... just throw 'em in the back of your car and get some pre-flight scratches in 'em. That way it won't matter as much when they get beat-up after/during a flight! ; )

Keith Gaillard NAR 79942 l3

Reply to
K E Gaillard

We've all said that before ;-)

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

LOL...Really....LOL

I use a Mountaineer

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Bought a used (2002) Mountaineer in February to replace my 97 Explorer. I had to go out and buy the luggage rack cross members from Ford (and the associated retainers...aka screw eyed bolts) before I went to the 1st launch in March. I have a roof top carrier made by Thule that required the cross members. It has seen a fair amount of use over the last 5 years.....Holds Rockets....motors....kids....whatever! One of the best investments I have ever made.

Mark A Palmer

TRA 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

The sporting goods chains seem to have similar prices.

The best deals I got on Plano stuff have been at their outlet store by their factory. 50% off from the WalMart / Sportmart prices.

Bob Kaplow