VCR reminder

Yeah, the Babylon 5.

steve

Reply to
system user

Just got done watching it here.

Zooty said it - this is not your father's Battlestar Galactica.

After they got Starbuck's obligatory "tough girl" antics out of the way, it turned out quite good. Emotionally and intellectually engaging, and seriously done. Edward James Olmos deserves awards for his role.

Comparing this to the original would be like comparing "Dances With Wolves" to "The Lone Ranger".

Reply to
BB

If jms reads that line and falls over dead, I will hold you personally responsible.

You know what jms would have done with the little runt and his robot dog, given the chance?

I have this mental picture of Stephen Furst looking up and wiggling his fingers. Not sure who's head is on the pike, but it really doesn't matter, does it?

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Good ratings or not, it still sucked on toast. I never understood the appeal of it.

That's true.

BTW, for a good laugh, check out a movie called "Mutiny in Space". They somehow got ahold of a few BSG effects shots and built a turd of a movie around them. It makes even the worst of BSG look like a masterpiece by comparison.

Most of the "spaceship" interiors are a rusty old factory complete with cracked concrete floors. A "highlight" of the movie is a chase sequence involving riding mowers dressed up as "cars" with boxy superstructures.

This movie was featured once on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Starlord, I am glad you are finally excited about posting SOMETHING, but this is off-topic for rmr. You have had several posts of off-topic rants, now go away.

Post some ROCKET content.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

As a Follow On to BSG is just sucks.

but as a show in its own right I am so far pretty impressed.

that is one aspect that really did bug me. making the BSG and Viper "old" tech instead of the "latest tech"

that hit a little hard.

But it DOES have promise if you consider it a new show and do not compare it with the old.

Alas it will probably die like every single other promising series sci-fi has tried to start.

if they would just give one of these damned shows a chance they might have something good.

I am SICK AND TIRED of 1 season write offs. they hook us and then throw us into withdrawal. it sucks.

Stargate does not count. SHowtime started that one same with sliders. neither were SCI-Fi Originals.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

However, this is the central key to the plot. The Cylons used their knowledge of the Colonial Force's computers and networks to pull a "Pearl Harbor" attack, by shutting down all defensive systems. This seemingly archaic "phobia" of autonomous systems is why Olmos' Adama forbade the presence of "networked computers" onboard the Galactica, and is ultimately what saved Galactica, while the other more modern Battlestars (and Vipers) were simply "shut down" and destroyed by the Cylons.

The new BSG is much more mature, serious, and intelligent - in short, it's everything that I was hoping the original BSG would be (I am old enough to remember ANTICIPATING the original BSG) - the *idea* of the original BSG is what made me like the show, but several shows into the series, I realized that it had been co-opted by the "cutesy" faction of bad Hollywood script writers, and ruined. Muffet, my ass. What bulls**t.

In short, THIS is what the original BSG *should* have been - a serious sci-fi treatment of humanity facing its greatest challenge - the ironic near-total annihilation of the whole species, by the hand of its own, out of control creation.

Reply to
BB

Free The Babylon 5 !!!!

Reply to
Christopher Deem

Everyone is a moderator of a newsgroup - to the extent the moderation is consistent with usenet general rules,which I believe my post was.

I assume you have at least ONE time found and read those rules?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

In other words, harassing her.

That doesn't change the fact the show was campy and had moderately low production values, and marginal story lines. Star Trek was just as campy in some ways but it had story lines with social commentary in times where that was fashionable.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Why, he did. Who else?

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Unfashionable, actually. They had to sneak things past the censors, and if the censors hadn't thought it was just a "kiddie show," they'd have been even harsher.

We're talking really stupid censors, by the way. I mean, come on. "Loki is white on the right side"? They honestly didn't get it, because if they had, they themselves have said that episode (Last Battleground? I forget) would never have aired.

Censors usually are morons. You don't believe me, look at all the free advertising James Dobson has given Ambercrombie and Fitch. For that matter, if you've got the Christmas catalog, put it on e-Bay. The things are going for absurd amounts right now.

Zooty

(Did you know there are Spider-Man fans who are furious about the movie changing things like the source of Spider-Man's webbing? My 11th grade English teacher didn't get that bent out of shape over the movie version of The Great Gatsby.

What is it about fanboys? I wish someone hadn't stolen my Star Trek blooper VCR tape. I had a copy of the SNL Shattner convention skit. Most succinct commentary on the topic ever.)

Reply to
zoot

Welcome to rmr. Look in a mirror BB, you do the same to me.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

False. Refer tomy reply.

When reading the referred document about "trolls" read, "Kurt Kesler".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Dunno, but if you figure it out, let me know. My brother and I do PA/sound system support for several sci-fi/fantasy conventions, so we have sat through MORE than our share of panels, discussions, what have you. What you see and hear can be simply amazing. Boggles the mind, it does.

Beer helps. More beer helps more. What does Rush take? ;-)

I recall sitting there watching it and nodding my head in agreement.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Bullshit! He is finaly talking about BSG plastic model kits, even building them. I have flown the Battlestar in PMC and I hope to so again someday.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I read about the SHOW disappointing him NOT about plastic models or converting them. Plenty of off topic crap gets posted to rmr, so this is certainly not a big issue, but my point was simple. That series of posts about the show, fandom response, and fandom harrasment was off topic.

Clearly if he was chatting about a plastic model I would not have posted that.

I have made a plastic model conversion of a Viper myself many years ago (I am also a fan despite the limitations the "old" show has). It was shortand dense and flew marginally. I suggest adding a lot of nose weight and using short duration motors and an excessively large chute (I used egglofter chutes).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's funnie!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

That's why one of my favorite movies is "Galaxy Quest"...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I think we're getting warmer. ; )