battlestar galactica models?

To concide with the release of the new Sci-Fi channel miniseries, does anyone know if there will be models (either garage or major mfgr) of the new ships?

The new Viper looks great, very subtle improvements over the classic ships. I haven't seen the Raider or the Galactica yet on previews or on thier web site, but can we assume modest makeovers of these ships, too?

Zammer

Reply to
Zam Karmen

I saw a blurry pic(forget what web site sorry)of the cylon raider...somewhat meaner looking from what little I could see. I do find it annoying how they changed so much tho...cylons are now going to be hotties,all the guys are now gals...too much for this old fashioned guy LOL

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I have always said about all these recent makeovers.... If the Movie/ Show/ whatever is good enough to remake, wasn't if good enough allready?

rich

Reply to
Rich

More to the point, if it was bascially a failure in the first place, why are you bothering to revive it? I know, maybe they're hoping to make a more constructive use of the premise, but what they ought to do is get the film rights to Fred Saberhagen berserker series, which are a heck of a lot more compelling as machine meanies than the Three-Stooge-like Cylons--they were so dumb in the original series it's hard to believe they could even change their own oil.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

No mainstream manufacturers are making anything but I am sure some entrepenuerial person will be making garage kits sooner or later. IMO the Trendmaster toy Viper from about 7 years ago resembles the new viper very much. As far as the Galactica. I saw the BSG magazine out at the newstand. IMO the Galactica resembles the original in top view only. The Cylon raider now looks like the head of a Giger Alien with a red Cylon eye and half crescent wings. The Baseship is a clusterf&*k that looks like a two Starfish smashed together, IMO. Gotta go set the VCR cause I am going to work in an hour. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

From the little promo bit that I saw here on "Space", the new miniseries is a prequel, so they had to pre-date everything from the originals eries by about 40 years.

Cliff. Jones

Reply to
Cliff Jones

Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott

Very true. However, I am of the opinion that the original *wasn't* that good to begin with. The writing left a lot to be desired from the get-go. Sure it was fun, but even as a high schooler in the 70s, I had to wince more than a few times each week when a particularly bad plot development or piece of dialogue took place.

Having said that, I'll check out the new one, hoping that they make it more interesting this time around. If they didn't do so, no sweat.

BTW, yes I bought the Viper and Cylon Raider models back then. Never did get the Galactica or the Base Star, though. A couple of my friends had them and I wasn't too impressed.

Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

Well... I was alot youner then High School, and I know I could watch it again on Sci-Fi, but I have different memories. I did have the SCRAB (?) and lost two of the little figures that came with it (I had once found a second one somewhere... these were like 1/72 scale... very small...) It just hurts to see all these things being redone due too a severe lack of originality.

rich

Reply to
Rich

What he said......

rich

Reply to
Rich

Amen! I couldn't help wondering why it took three to fly one of their fighters. Heck, if they're machines they don't need ANY BODIES in there. The machine could be smaller, lighter, faster if piloted by itself!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Well, if you or anyone else is interested, someone (a friend of a friend, who happens t have a friend who has them) offered me the other day the models of both the Galactica and the Base Star, for about $20 each. I remembered that around this time of the year there's always som people or another who are interested in the old models, so I told this friend's friend about the possibility to offer them here (of course, shipping costs need to be established). Contact me if you're interested, and I'll ask this person.

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

Personally I've only seen the commercial twice, but the new Cylon ships definetly struck me instantly as being extremely similar to the Kilrathi Dralthi fighters in the old Wing Commander video games.

John Benson ------------------------ IPMS El Paso Web Guy

John Benson

Contact me at MattWiser snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com: I'd like to get both the battlestar and Base Star.

Posted via

- web to news gateway for usenet access!

Reply to
Matt Wiser

Contact me at MattWiser snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. I would like both the Galactica and BaseStar.

Posted via

- web to news gateway for usenet access!

Reply to
Matt Wiser

While I still have a place in my heart for the original Battlestar, I watched part 1 with an open mind and enjoyed it. I tried not to go into it with preconcieved notions about how it should be like the old show. Saying that, I can deal with a female Starbuck and Boomer, the MK II Vipers are very nice and harken back to the original Viper, The Cylon Raiders and Basestars are a little too bizzare for my taste. And while I like the idea of the retractable landing bay pods for hyperspace, I think the Galactica is just plain Butt-Ugly. Why they ever thought to add all that ribbing detail is beyond me.

Reply to
Phil Campbell

Alas, I don't have TV or cable access right now (don't ask.. )

Does anyone know if there are any websites with screencaps or photos yet? I'd love to see the new models.

Maybe I'll dig out >To concide with the release of the new Sci-Fi channel miniseries, does

Reply to
Casey Tompkins

....and the show was better than I thought it would be.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Phil Campbell) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m20.aol.com:

Agree! But maybe we can count on MMI producing a resin kit of the new viper. It's actually not so far off from the original that the monogram model couldn't be used a a base. More sheet plastic over the engines, rework the canopy, add thruster ports... it might work out.

I haven't seen part 2 yet, so can't comment on the FTL configurations. sounds cool though.

Zammer

Reply to
Zam Karmen

Absorb...enjoy!