Battlestar Galactica reflux - er, reDUX

B.G.'s new "Adama" seems to imply that the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries will even disappoint fans who loved the original series (all 9 of them).

New B.G.'s producers obviously learned valuable lessons from the fantastically successful re-make of "Lost In Space"; namely, save the original series' name, trash everything else sacred to the core fans and make the new version dark, leathery, sensual and forboding. Add megabuck$ special effects and confused action sequences to fill in for lack of an actual storyline and pray your audience is so desperately addicted to the "Sci-Fi Channel" that they'll watch any crap you serve up in front of them.

Reply to
BB

I will make a confession here - I was part of that generation and I LOVED the original miniseries, at the outset. But even at that young, impressionable, open minded age, I could not stomach what the show turned into after a couple of episodes. The original idea was great, but I think it was co-opted by the Hollywood mentality of the time in which any show had to be a syrupy soap opera with kitschy dialog and cheesy acting.

Hmm, that's two food-related similes in one sentence, must be time for breakfast!

Reply to
BB

Spell-checker is correct. He has the "h" and "t" transposed. Length not Lenght. It is one of those words that looks weirder the longer you look at it.

Scott McCrate

Reply to
Scott McCrate

I've had that problem with "the"...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

There are nine of us now? : )

I agree that the new show sounds pretty screwed up. Now I hear that Boomer will be a girl too. Maybe they should call it: Gynostar Galatica.

Randy

Reply to
Stephen DeArman

Actually, I thought the original series was pretty lame.

The pilot was dynamite. The concept was really fantastic. But the writing and acting (excluding the pilot) was some of the worst felgercarb to clog the airwaves since "The Man From Atlantis."

The plots alternated between bad ripoffs of classic movies (e.g., "The Guns of Navaronne" and "Ice Station Zebra" were combined into an incredibly awful cinematic suppository called "The Guns of Ice Station Zero) and execrable space opera. (Okay, guys, in this episode Starbuck/Apollo gets stranded on some planet and has to figure a way to single-handedly destroy all of the Cylons and get back to the Galactica in time for happy hour.)

It's a damn shame. The show could have been great. It was less than mediocre. Fabulous special effects unfortunately cannot rescue bad writing and worse acting. In retrospect, the only thing that could have rescued this cosmic crap heap would have been a couple of puppets making wisecracks in the corner. This series cried out for Crow and Tom Servo!

So if the Sci-Fi Channel has scrapped everything but the setting and the basic concept, then they are on the right track. Hopefully Adama will find some way to keep a daughter-in-law for longer than one episode. (The Ben Cartwright Curse)

Ad Astra! Bill Sullivan

Bring Back Dr. Who! New Episodes! Now!

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

So you guys found a substitute for that cork insulation? ;O)

Reply to
BB

You nailed it right on the head.

But did you have to remind me about "The Man From Atlantis"!? ;O)

"The Rocket Scientist" wrote:

Reply to
BB

I'm having troubling visions of what the "Viper" might look like.... ;O)

Reply to
BB

snip

Okay, I must confess. I too, was totally thrilled by the original show. Probably for a different reason than most however. I was living up north outside the city limits. My room mate and I shared a small cabin overlooking the water. He had a horse and rented a pasture down the road. The pasture was well know by the college kids for it's "edible?" mushrooms. I had dabbled in the arts before (it was 1978) and knew of the mushroom's ability to alter one's senses. So, there I was getting all comfortable in front of the fireplace and starting to "come into the zone" when this show starts on TV. I wasn't sure if it was a documentary or a newscast, but I knew it was real. ;-) I was riveted to the TV for the rest of the night, fascinated by these Cylons and the brave men that would save me from them.

Battlestar Galactica, The first reality TV show!

steve

Reply to
default

It was typical commercial television. Produce the concept as quickly and cheaply as possible. Considering the sets and props and actors and extras, and lightingting and special effects it would have cost alot more to make the production values better and they did not have the benefit of a religious zealot producing and writing like Star Trek did. The ST religion BTW.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The idea of fiction relies on susp[ended disbelief. Just like TRA and magazines, or TRA and ATF permits, or TRA and certified motor manufacturers. Members are supposed to suspend their disbelief in the validity of the acts of leaders (they must know something we dont). They don't. They really ARE this wacko.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I don't work for Lockheed Martin (foam), nor do I work on the Delta (that uses cork IIRC from this past weeks launch delays). Moose may know about the cork. He does not do design work, but he may deal with the corrective action, etc.

I've got all the seats on the C-17 and the crew seats have some leather on them. I've been checking on reports that some AF base(s) may be using Pleather to make repairs. It's like altering the ejection charge on a Model Rocket Motor.

-Fred "warm leatherette" Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I never liked nor watched the original anyway so..........and the SCi-Fi channel basically sucks.... shockie B)

just because it has space in it don't make it good .....

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Jerry, even *I* would have been hard pressed to believe that you would - could - somehow turn this topic into another anti-TRA rant.

Please, find an alternate universe somewhere to live in - one without TRA - so you can at last find inner peace. Or take up needlepoint.

Reply to
BB

Blasphemer!

How dare you!

Actually, I'm like Shockie. While I'm aware that (what seems like) most rocketeers are into sci-fi, ST, BG, etc, I'm not. The only reason I know ST is because it was the only show on in Louisville on Sunday mornings. All the other channels (all three of them :) had church services, so if I wasn't at church or the lake, I was watching ST. If Tom and Jerry had been on, I'd'a been watching that instead.

Other than that, I'm totally sci-fi ignorant. Not that I'm particularly well read on any other forms of fiction, either. I've always preferred non-fiction. The shop manual for a Rolls-Royce Merlin has more interest to me than Chaucer.

About the only way I'd watch BG now is if the wimmun was nekkid. And even then, I'd have to sneak around behind my wife's back.

I've always been interested in how rockets work, and in building them, but I never had any desire to ride in one or travel in space. I love hanging here at rmr, and with my DARS buds, and I don't look down on sci-fi-ers. Is that ok? Is that somehow weird in a geek context?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

I didn't. I started a new thread.

Troll.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

them. I've been

repairs. It's like

Ah, good ole' gummint regulations eh?

Ooh! OOH! I thought *I* was the only one what remembered that song!

Reply to
BB

You turned a completely unrelated topic into another absurd anti-TRA rant.

Your distorted version of reality notwithstanding.

Sorry, Jerry.

You are the troll, and a most prolific, long lived one, in need of counseling, at that.

Like I said, find another hobby - or universe - so you can find your inner peace.

Hey, built that rocket hat yet? Here's a tip - line it with LOTS of foil, the TRA satellites are beaming "confuzo rays" into your cerebellum. You know, that ones that make you believe you actually have a snowball's chance in hell of ever being elected to any position of trust.

Reply to
BB

Everybody read BB's words and see how he thinks. Such logic and reason eh? No wonder he refuses to post his real name for all to see. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine