Academy M3A1 Half Track Kit

I bought the Academy 1/72 kit of the M3A1 Half Track today. I can't get at most of my AFV references at the moment so can't check this myself so I thought I'd ask the experts here. Should the M3A1 really have the folding luggage racks on the outside of the rear hull plates as shown in the kit? I know that these were fitted to the M3A2 but can't find any evidence of their being fitted to the M3A1.

In addition, do the 30cal MGs in the kit seem a little undersized?

I nearly bought the Academy GMC CCKW 353 truck but decided against it when I had a look at the cab. Instead of the characteristic hinged V windscreen, the kit has a rectangular windscreen opening that looks wrong and would be very difficult to rectify. Has anyone dealt with this?

Best wishes for the New Year.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

The luggage racks were a late-war addition and therefore if you're doing an ETO vehicle in the late summer of 1944 on it's fine.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Most interesting, Cookie. Thanks for the prompt reply. I think I'll leave them off.