Aircraft Fuel Tank Struture Question

I've FINALLY gotten my IMC F-105D (with extra battle damaged parts) and I'm going to be building it with the damaged parts but accurizing it as well. I've run into something I hadn't expected though, one of the battle damaged parts is the drop tank and it shows some internal bracing. I guess I hadn't ever tho- ught about it before, but what type of internal bracing is in a drop tank?

I've already figured out how to make the other areas (including the other kits in the series) more accurate, but none of the others include a damaged wing tank. Would I want to show it as hollow? Perhaps put flames or 'mist' flow- ing out of it? I'm assuming it isn't double walled, maybe it is?

Maybe I should display it without the fuel tanks?

advTHANKSance for any and all help on this one.

Reply to
Drew Hill

External fuel tanks normally consist of three parts- the centre section and the two end caps. Depending on the make there are baffle/frames internally that stops the fuel sloshing about and provides structural strength. Internal fuel tanks are of two types two types- integral or bag. The former uses the aircraft structure which is sealed using a fuel resistant sealant- the UK version is called PRC and is brown while bag tanks and made from a rubberised material and is either black or green. As for venting stick to a small amount of vapourised fuel coming out- as most mil combat aircraft don't have extensive fire suppression for fuel systems any fire would probably lead to an ejection. HTH Cheers Kev

Reply to
KEV OF BBA