Alps MD-5000 Finish Cartridge

I am trying to use the Finish Cartridge on the Alps MD-5000 printer but came across a problem. When do you use this cartridge?

I have the primary colors (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta) and the Black Cartridge in the printer and it prints the photo sheet perfectly. Now how do I use the Finish Cartridge? I thought maybe if I swapped the Black cart with the Finish (thinking if the printer wanted to print black, it would combine the CYM colors together), then it would print the Finish when its done. But I get an error box (in the Print Center (for Mac)) saying I have to replace the cartridge with the right color (Black). So I replace it thinking it will ask me for the Finish Cartridge, but it doesn't.

Does anyone know how am I suppose to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Limtiaco

Why are you limiting yourself to four carts? The MD-5000 can handle seven at a time. Just leave those four in and add the Finish cart.

First, make sure you've got the 'overlay' box checked, then after you've finished printing all the colors select 'use spot colors' in the Documents/Settings tab, click on 'spot colors', select 'use spot colors' in the Spot Colors Settings dialog box, then select 'Finish (Glossy Finish), click 'okay' then 'print'. This is the procedure for a Windows OS but it should be similar using a Mac.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Thanks a bunch! I just figured this out. I use to have the MD-1000 and that only holds 4 Carts. Alps has a trade-in program. They take your printer and $250 and they give you the MD-5000. So when I finally got it, I noticed on the spot where you put the Carts, it looked deeper. I didn't realize you can stack them.

I tell you when I saw this, the whole "lightbulb lit on top of my head" literally could've lit the who city.

Thanks for the help, Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Limtiaco

You're welcome! :)

Just make sure you leave one slot free - the MD-5000 needs it to shuffle the carts. Even though it will physically hold eight you can only actually use seven.

Heh. I've had plenty of those moments myself..... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

HAS a trade-in program? Geez, I'd pay $250 to trade my 1300 for a 5000. What are the details? How long agao was this? I couldn't find any reference to a trade-in on their Web page (other than a repair exchange).

Reply to
Frank Henriquez

Woohoo! Just answered my own question. If you send in your old & busted

1300 and $350 samolians, you can request an MD5000 in return! Cool!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Henriquez

Frank Henriquez wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.ucla.edu:

Can someone offer up a web addres. My 1300 is as dead as the URL I have.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Direct link to the retail printer page:

Click on "Printer Repairs"

I asked, and they still have the trade-in program (for $350) all you need is the printer's serial # and the money.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Henriquez

Frank Henriquez wrote in news:frank- snipped-for-privacy@news.ucla.edu:

Cool, thanks!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

what about new purchases???

Bill Shuey

Frank Henriquez wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

ALPS no longer sells its printers in the US.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Since others failed to mention this, I will:

AFAIK, MD-5000 doesn not use Finish carts. Those were used in the 1000 and

1300 series printers.

The 5000 uses Finish II cartridges instead.

Both do the same thing though : they give you a glossy finish on color pictures. Not in DyeSub mode - only when using regular inks.

As far as the printer using it, you have to tell it to do so. One of the menu options lets you select the finish coat. I'm not near my Alps so I can't give you anymore details.

I think if you use the VPhoto mode it has finish enabled by default. That is Finish II.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Sounds like you (and I) need to find an old non working unit somewhere and send it in for replacement. Maybe E-bay?

My citizen printiva is outdated now and I could use the upgrade.

FRedD

Reply to
RedFred1

Call Alps in San Jose, CA. Ask the operator there who to talk to regarding the trade-in program. They don't have anything on their web page about it, but I heard they've been doing it for a while.

Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Limtiaco

By the way, it's only $250 from what I heard.

Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Limtiaco

Peteski,

I use a Mac and I didn't see anything on the Print Center control that say to use the Finish cartridge feature. If anyone uses the Alps Printer with a Mac (OS X) & PhotoShop 7.0 (or iPhoto), I would greatly appreciate it as I have a newborn son (10 days old) and have to print a bunch of pictures for Thank You Cards.

BTW, these Alps printer kick major butt when it comes to decals. I did a TV production truck as a novelty thing for Fox Sports and a local Fox affiliate and they are thinking of using my design as a possible idea for their future truck. How cool is that?

Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Limtiaco

Double congratulations, Rudy !!!!

First of course with the birth of your son. I hope mother and son are doing wonderful.

And second on the result of your decals.

Dennis Loep The Glueing Dutchman

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ...'" Isaac Asimov

Reply to
Dennis Loep

That's pretty slick! I hope I get aroundtuit someday... Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

When I called to get an RMA for my 1300, I asked for a 5000 in return (and that is $350). The guy said that they only send out 5000 in exchange for 1300s.

The Alps printers are really outstanding for decals, especially white. I've tried Inkjet decal paper and it produces a rubbery crap, compared to laser/Alps decal paper like the stuff sold by Tango Papa.

Also, most inkjets produce transparent colored decals, with no real option to do overlays.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Henriquez

But they do...

go to

click on "Printer Repairs"

They always substitute 5000s for 1000 and 1300. But if you send them 2010 or 2300 they will get you the same model back.

I did this about half a year ago (broken 1000 for 5000 swap) and I got a brand new 5000. No printed manuals, but that is not much of a problem.

If any of you are serious about using Alps, join the Alps and alpsdecal groups on

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.