Alternative to throwing out partially used ca

I generally keep a long hat pin of the same diameter as the cap-pin to clean out plugs. One such has lasted about ten years before it finally bent up so bad that I had to replace it. I prefer one about two or three inches long and feed it in slowly. Works 98% of the time.

The Old Timer