Anyone Watching "Carrier" on PBS ??

the ads make it look like just another reality show. I hope they plan on showing us the hardware instead of drama....

Craig

Reply to
lwongwestbrooke

I peeked some at it some overnight. I consider it more of a general documentary than a "reality show". The part about the Marine Corps Hornet squadron was both interesting and a little entertaining. It's more personal and in depth than the usual documentaries on aircraft carriers, but you do get to see quite a bit of the hardware in action.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

Yeah, way too heavy with crew interviews. The photography is beautiful, but the amount of time spent on those interviews is just to heavy compared to the operating video. And we need more discussion on how stuff works in various parts of ship. Maybe it will come, but too much human interest stuff so far.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Yes, and too much wining.

Reply to
Richard Goldsberry

I watched it last night, and was glad to hear from the crews for a change - particularly the enlisted ranks. You can find out about "how stuff works" anyplace any time, but unless you've been in the service and/or at sea yourself never hear much about the human side of life in the service or the hows and whys of that life...those of us that haven't served should be told more of that kind of thing about those whom do, IMO. I found the interviews a refreshing change from all the line-shots and tech.

...and I'd also be more interested to hear about mission and objectives over machinery...like when they turned back from heading to Korea.

Reply to
Rufus

last nites show dealt heavy with sex on board ship. someone blew his career after bonking a drunk sailor... bet a lot of cold showers are taken on the carrier since they come down so hard on anyone having any kind of relationship. instead of visiting Hong Kong, one said that they were headed for the bar instead. Wonder what the show will do for recruiting now.

Craig

Reply to
crw59