Battle of Britain film DVD

Hi Troops:

I hit Barnes & Noble last week (ruin my budget regularly in there) and found the American version of the Battle of Britain re-release on the rack. This is a 2 disc set with a documentary on the battle, and several additional features on the 2nd disc. On disc 2 there is an interview with an R.A.F. Squadron Leader, with the people who made the air scenes and an animated photo gallery. Disc one has the film, and a full length version with associated commentary by the director Guy Hamilton and the aerial director Bernhard Williams. ISBN # 1-4049-9693-1

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

Why do they do this to me! I just picked up the DVD last year to complement the VHS I'd had for a while. Now another must have!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Just wait, very soon they'll come up with another format that you'll have to buy new all over again.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Reply to
Osher

I almost bought the 2003 DVD last year, then heard about the 2004 UK release with all the extras... I didn't buy that one yet either, fortunately. Now that I hear about this one (when was it released, BTW? I had been waiting for it, but stopped looking some months ago), I'll have to add it to my list.

Reply to
machf

It's a shame they didn't think of using twinned cameras for a 3D format, not that blue/green format but the full Victorian side-by-side pair so that with these new Walkman screens and a clip-on viewer we could all be screaming "my God, they're coming right at us!"

I'd buy it!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

This one was released in 2005. The ISBN # 1-4049-9693-1 should get you the correct disc at a good store.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

He was although I doubt he provided much in terms of "real" consulting but they had a phlethora of vets to help out. I remember the Air Classics that came out after the filming. It was a pic of Dowding in a wheel chair visiting the "set"...he looked pretty infirm. I seem to recall another group pic of him with a lot of B o B RAF vets. Adolph Galland and Douglas Bader also showed and Bader demonstrated (there were a couple of pics of the still very spritely Bader getting out of and standing in the Cockpitof one of the Hurricanes thoroughly enjoying himself). Supposedly Galland obtained permission to fly one of the Ha's (not for the film) but that may have been a rumor only. That was one good Air Classics issue. Still have it around somewhere but it is pretty much deteriorated. Supposedly Galland did some consulting also, although he alledgedly did not want to lend his name to the film supposedly for worry the Germans might have been made to look like mere foils to the Brits....technically I suppose they could still have portrayed him, but maybe out of respect for his wishes they didn't. Dowding died in 1970 at 88, Bader died in 1982 at 72 yoa, Galland in

1996 at 83.
Reply to
old hoodoo

I think Ginger Lacy also visited the set and also got to fly one of the Spits (again not for the movie)...Air Classics noted he was checked out by a pilot that was not even born in 1940! Lacy didn't retire from the RAF until 1967 and died in 1989 at 72 yoa.

I am going on the memory of a mag I have not looked at in about ten years but maybe the dvd will confirm (or deny some of this).

Reply to
old hoodoo

Please. I'm still adjusting to people wandering around stores talking out loud to no one there. I can just imagine the bedlam caused by somebody caught up in the moment trying desperately to split-s out of the way.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

There's a paperback by Leonard Mosley that came out about the making of the film, which would probably have a lot of details--things like Bader visibly angry at seeing Heinkels flying over England, even for a movie. It shouldn't be too hard to find if you're interested. The blue work in "Piece of Cake", which also uses a few minutes of "BoB" footage, is superior, and it's one of the last times you'll see real Spits being thrown around expertly for a movie. The LAST time is probably "Dark Blue World"--Czech pilots in the RAF, and a better movie than either.

Reply to
tomcervo

"tomcervo" wrote in news:1136735117.975223.73330 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I have that book. Most excellent. I am looking for Dark Blue World also. I'm hoping to find one dubbed into English. My eyes aren't what they used to be and following captions is work if it lasts more than a few minutes at a time.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I am sure Bader just wanted to get in one of the Hurricanes and give em a go. Putting Heinkels in the air is going to get those hunter instincts running on overdrive.

Reply to
old hoodoo

--snip--

I got mine in English from amazon.com, which currently lists it used and new on both DVD and VHS.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

Charles Metz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uchicago.edu:

Excellent, thanks!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The Heinkel footage was shot over Spain, it was a condition of the loan of the aircraft by Franco's government. That is why the landscape looks very much like southern Spain and nothing at all like southern England.

BoB footage turned up in numerous war movies including "Dad's Army" (the scene where the bomber crew bails out)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It very nearly didn't get made at all. The original low-budget radio-control modelfest was abandoned in favour of the all-star United Artists version although some footage from the original made it into the final movie.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Some of the BoB dogfight footage is in at least one episode of "Black Sheep Squadron" & maybe even in "Midway".

Reply to
frank