Best medium for walls for house remodel model?

I want to build a 1/2" = 1' model of the house addition I want to do.

I had earlier thought of using 4" by 1/16 balsa sheets for the walls but it would have to be painted and would not be very strong.

Anyone used foam core before? I know its hard on the outside but has a foam interior.

Never done this kinda model before. Not sure if I should make the walls as close to scale (thin) as possible or just use the standard 1/4 inch foam core that art stores carry..

Ideas?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I don't the use you're going to put your model to which could determine what kind of construction you use. Here's a couple of suggestions.

I'd stay away from balsa - strength and finishing problems. Hobby shops usually have some very thin plywood that would work better.

Foam core works very well. For 1/2" = 1', 1/4" foam core equals a 6" wall which is very close (or probably less than) a real wall's width. (2x4 stud, outside siding, inside drywall + finish).

If you're really ambitious and want a true-scale model, build it like a real build>I want to build a 1/2" = 1' model of the house addition I want to do. >

Reply to
Jim K

I'm building a model to show to family members, contractors, etc and to get a 3D view of what the space will look like. I have the plans all drawn up and need a better way to visualize what will/won't work.

thx. the math was so simple I overlooked it! foam core it is.

about glue. is it porous enough for white glue or is something else better? I'm going to glue the foam core walls to a foam core base.

thx - Craig

Reply to
Craig

FWIW most foam core I've seen is 3/8" which leaves you some thickness for scale paneling or siding or whatever. Dick Blick sells a gadget for notching foamcore so it fits together at a 90 degree angle... handy for what you are doing. I personally would avoid white glue as the stuff on the outside is paper and can bulge up. I'd use a spray adhesive or gluestick where I could, CA glue where needed.

WinBear

Reply to
WinBear