Best plane seen flying

You have to remove all those empty beer bottles off your outdoor furniture. :-)

Reply to
Willshak

I always thougt it was from the Aux Air inlet doors...at least on the AV8B. What I used to hear during four years on the line with them certainly wasn't bearing noise...it was too directional. It was definitely aero-acoustic noise.

Reply to
Rufus

mine was the bob flight. it was before they found the missing turret, but the lanc still blew me away. the 6 merlins were awesome.

Cold, snowy, and wet here in Chi-ville...remembering why I moved.

Have yet to get to Al's Hobby - sometime next week, maybe.

Reply to
Rufus

It was the hollow fuselage extension which accounted for the noise. That was never part of the original design. The air also stank of kerosene after a flypast. One of my dad's practical jokes was to arrange for a Dutch F-104 to make a low high-speed pass over my house to get me out of bed in the mornings.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

grab the lindberg german's for me, ok? cold, unseasonably here. dry and sunny but this ain't my weather. feeling better?

Still a bit weak... and going through a bit of pednizone withdrawal. I've got the feeling back in my feet and hands, but I've been getting afternoon migraines - fortunately they don't seem to last too long. I can make it though about 2/3 of a day before I need to recharge now.

But a 1/2 hour of shoveling snow today sapped me for the afternoon.

Reply to
Rufus

Hmmm.

Mosquito at Old Warden - only slow passes, but Ah! De Havilland!

Missing Man formation of Spitfires flown at the IAT at Greenham Common for Douglas Bader

A Vulcan, in the valley, below me.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

i think i won't take that stuff unless it's life or death. snow? oh yeah, that white stuff. you anywhere near berwyn? my gram lived there, on south ridgeland ave.

BERWYN?!?!?...sorry, had a Svengoolie flashback...yeah, Wheaton is maybe about 20 miles west of there, by Mapquest guess.

We don't really get snow in the midwest...we get white mud. Mountain snow is much preferrable. At least it's dry. You don't get as cold when the snow's not wet.

Reply to
Rufus

new england gets all the kinds of snow. the dry ice to the white mush. and i hate it all. i had been known to hit the stores, stock up and then stay inside for 2-3 weeks, did a lot of kits then. you been building while you heal?

I drove up to Harrisburg when one was there doing charters. As he was leaving the pilot made a return over the runway with a fancy pullup. She looked like a four-engined fighter that morning.

Also up at Harrisburg for one of their air shows, I was very impressed with the Nimrod pulling tight turns, standing on one wingtip or the other. One doesn't expect that out of an aircraft whose ancestors started life as cattle haulers.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I can well understand. I've seen several Harrier demos at air shows and when they're in hover one doesn't hear anything else.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

One of the rarest, to me, was the B-66 that passed over our high school back around '65 or '66. We were in the middle of a ball game and I was stuck out in the outfield where I couldn't screw up anything. Out of the west comes this familiar shape (heck, I'd built the Monogram kit) and I can't believe I'm seeing it that close. I could read the "U.S. AIR FORCE" down the side of the nose.

It seems that someone got out and the innings changed whilst I was in my reverie. I took a lot of crap from the gym teacher about being inattentive but I figure I had my priorities straighter than he. I never saw another B-66 but baseball goes on and on and on......

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I know what you mean! Having got used to seeing B47s take off at sharp angles out of Brize using RATOs, it was an incredible sight to see a Vulcan, on a visit leave there at the same angle of attack with no large clouds of vapour and thunderous noise go straight up into the cloudbase.

It had us kids talking about it for ages as we'd never seen that before.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Sadly I'd forgotten about our old lady, the Avro Lancaster.

When I was a kid at Carterton County Primary School I remember we were in the hall singing "Sur La Pont" when this sound got louder and louder then out of the large hall windows we were treated to the sight of the back end of the Lanc as it flew over us and low over the trees and hedges.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Hey Enzo wow small world I to was at Maple Flag @ Cold Lake that year, IIRC it was May, I was part of the 1st TFW 94TFS out of Langley AFB, we had a bad incident that year one of our jets threw a turbine blade right out the compressor section on take off, he had just raised the nose when it blew thankfully his hook caught the over run cable otherwise he would have run off the runway, really messes that bird up

Reply to
Daryl

I remember the incident! We were told that the runway had been blacked, so we scrubbed flying for the day and all stood down. It allowed us to get ratfaced in the CanEx, which for us was the main aim of these detachments! :-D

Did you get to see the F-117s?

I think the aircraft that drew the most attention was the VC-10 tanker that arrived at the end of the det to accompany our Harriers back home. I must admit that in its lo-vis hemp colour scheme it looked quite the business. As it taxied in, it drew a large crowd who had never seen the like before! Many people thought that it was the latest thing that the RAF had got, and were surprised to learn that they had been in service for 23 years (at that time). They were even more surprised when told that the tanker was actually faster than the jets that it was supporting!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

No - I dare not touch a model right now. Still coming down from teh prednizone, and I've got shakes and tremors still in my hands, although I can hold a pen again. Woke up this morning with muscle aches all over, but that may be because I've been up and around (shoveled snow yesterday) and it's finally catching up with me. But I've also ben getting migraines about 2-3 times a day - never had those before. Avoid prednizone if you can.

Going to try and stay active today - maybe buy another guitar...

Reply to
Rufus

take a poor kid out and buy him a toy.