c-54

did one actually carry a president? i believe one was ready for fdr but never used. how's about harry s?

Check out the Presidential hangar at the National Museum of the Air Force- FDR's Sacred Cow had an elevator for his wheelchair, and Truman's Independence had a really cool eagle's head paint job.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

that's a great site, but did harry ride in a c-54? i know he had several connies.

In the July, 1945 number of _Western Flying_ magazine, an article titled "Flying White House", discussing the C-54 assigned to the President, says "During President Roosevelt's inspection of the Pacific and Alaska, Col. Myers' plane was assigned to fly certain members of the presidential party and made the 2565 mile run from Los Angeles to Honolulu in 10 hours and 40 minutes. Then, with the president aboard, it mad the first flight from Honolulu to Kodiak, Alaska -- 2700 miles in 12 hours, all over water."

That seems fairly definitive.

e wrote:

Reply to
JL (Larry) McClellan

e wrote:

The C-54G nicknamed the Sacred Cow was used once by FDR in February

1945 when he traveled to Yalta. Following his death, Truman used the plane until 1947 when the 29th production DC-6 / C118 was ordered to be modified as a replacement. The most significant event to occur on the Sacred Cow was the signing of the 1947 National Security Act which established the Air Force as an independent branch of the military. Eisenhower had used C-69's (early production versions of the Constellation) througout the war and when he ascended to the Presidency in 1954 a VC-121E was purchased and christened "Columbine III" by Mamie in honor of her adopted home state. While I believe that the C-121 was the primary plane for his use, near the end of his administration I seem to recall that he also used C-137's that were outfitted for VIP transport. These were natural metal with Hi-Viz markings. Again, I seem to recall that Eisenhower used one of these during a summit with Kruschev. During Ike's administration the call sign "Air Force 1" came into use when his plane was confused by air traffic control with a commercial flight. With Kennedy's Presidency, a VC-137C (SAM-26000) was purchased for Presidential use. Breaking with tradition, this plane was a generic plane and would go on to carry Presidents from Kennedy to Clinton. The paint scheme was designed by Raymond Loewy. An additional VC-137 brought into use (I believe) during Ford's administration and was named "The Spirit of '76" and carried the tail number 26001. Believe it or not, other than knowing the present "Air Force 1's" are 747's, I don't know anything about them. All of this was from the United States Air Force Museum aircraft brochure.

Chris Maxfield

Reply to
Chris75006

FDR's C-54/R5D Skymaster known as Sacred Cow is pretty famous. FDR flew in it at least once and Truman must have made use of it after FDR's death. If they'll reuse the limo Kennedy was riding in at Dealy Plaza, they'll recycle anything.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

ok, that covers fdr and thanks. now, what about harry s?

coolness. thanks a bunch.