can-o-peas and decals

i've told you guys i paint tape for canopy framing and have heard about painting decals and cutting frame members. can i get a step-by? i have troubles with very thin decals and it seems that tiny frame members could be very hard. are there tricks? is there an easy method for some one with shaky hands? tiny decals are very difficult but i want to try this because tape can often be too thick looking. any help will be..yatta, yatta, you know the drill. tanks

Have you tried masking the clear areas off and spraying the canopy?

I use Tamiya masking tape cut into thin slices about 0.75mm wide. I mask the edges of the clear portions with it. It can sometimes be a bit time consuming but I find that I can usually mask a complete canopy set for something like a 1/72 F-4 in about 20 minutes. Larger scales are easier and quicker. This method has the advantage that you don't actually apply any colour until you *know* things are just right. Once you have finished masking the edges, fill in the bits in-between with your favourite masking fluid - I use Copydex adhesive.

This method has the benefit that you can spray the interior colour first to give the appearance that the inside of the canopy frame is painted.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Reply to
eyeball

will be better. i've tried others maskers, scotch, everything and never been happy. i may just be a flumsy cluker, ya know. i know painting can look the very best on a good canopy and not so good on old molds. as stated elsewhere i like vac forms a lot now and that would seem harder to mask with tape. but i'll try it again, i guess. i so want to try the decal thing, too. a bad canopy really sticks out and i have several models with canvas covers....more than 2 is puching it. thanjks, you given me some inspiration.

sources? i haven't seen them anywhere and ht in vegas doesn't even carry sheets. though they would special order it for me. but that still leaves me short on technique.

your masking technique is great, but you are much steadier handed than i. any cheats i can use to keep the boys calm? arthritis and the meds for it gimmie the shakes. hey, thats a good song.

Actually I shake quite a bit...have since I was a kid. What I've done is to learn to use the shakes as part of my technique. I anticipate and paint/cut in the "calm" part of the shake...unless I've had too much coffee. Then I just skip it until later.

I use Scotch tape to mask canopies - that's my only "secret". Cut small triangles (as many as it takes) to fill corners, and use a straight run of tape to get the longer areas. Depending on the canopy (like on my Catalina) if the ribs in the windows are molded right for it, I'll cut the tape in place on the canopy - gotta use a new blade for that, #11 or a round one as you prefer.

Lot of little chunks of tape are preferable to fewer, larger ones. I use a toothpick, needle, X-Acto, etc. to poke and prod them into place. That's another "cheat" - don't use your fingers; use some sort of poking tool. Works for placing etched parts, too. Something I learned from cutting stones on a dopping stick, I guess...

Reply to
Rufus

that cat is amazing...it really should be displayed somewhere. maybe a navy museum? ain't yanking you, it really is a very nice piece and the size works with your scheme and markings. i don't even have the nerve to start mine yet. i'll try the tape thing again. you results convince me. no one seems willing to share their decal sekrits. man, it is so muggy here you could wring me out like a mop. i took a shower just to have different temperature water on me. i'm going to lay down for a while. good directions, i'll save them

eyeball

If you want to try the ready made decal stripes, try Hannants. They have Xtradecal sheets of stripes of different widths. They're made in six colours, one colour to a sheet. So far, they have Insignia Red, Insignia Blue, White, Yellow, Black and Silver. The Silver should look OK on natural metal aircraft, the Insignia Blue might suit naval aircraft in overall Sea Blue and the white would do for American aircraft of the 1950's where the framing is in an off-white colour. I'm thinking of F-84 and Skyknight as examples where the framing is partly in the overall airframe colour and partly in white. Does anyone know why this was done?

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Thanks, man. It really is a nice kit. I have the -5A kit in my stash as well, and I can't think of another scheme I like better than those sub-chaser greys. I'll probably do the same on that one.

Yeah...it was still 102 up here at 9:00 pm last night. Heading into LA today - looking for another guitar.

Reply to
Rufus

CAM decals has stripe sets in six colors - black, white, dark grey, red, and blue; 5-7mm, which is a bit wide, but you can cut them.

Super Scale once produced a fair variety of sets of stripes...not sure if they still do. They also made goodly variety of solid colored decal sheets.

...and I think Aeromaster once made sets of decal sheet in RLM colors - one oclor on one side, and a secod color on the other. Specifically for doing canopies. They're OOP, but you may be able to find some in a collection or on a shelf somewhere.

Reply to
Rufus

that sounds like what i want. my main concern is shipping. i fear that the prices may kill the idea. but i will look into it. thanks

who sells the above? google is not helping.

i wish i'd known, i would have gone with. i don't know l.a. and would like to learn where things are. anytime you can deal with company, please lmk.

I can't say about Super Scale but Microscale does lots of stripes for model railroad applications and lots of them are just fine for canopies in the smaller scales. What I could really use would be some in olive drab and Dark Green. I should go back and look through their listings.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

a url would be nice.

CAM decals are sold through Brookhurst...I'm not sure how else has them, but I think Brookhurst Hobbies is the primary distributor. Try the CAM website:

I'd try Squadron first for any Super Scale sheets - they seem to have the monopoly. You may also find them as older MicroScale sheets.

I'd think the Areomaster ones would have to be stumbled upon in a shop or at an estate sale at this point.

Reply to
Rufus

WILCO - had a driver this trip, and we didn't find what I was looking for. Found a rare Strat, but I left it there. I really want a Telecaster...and American ash, Deluxe, butterscotch blonde Tele...they're about impossible to find at the moment.

Reply to
Rufus

True Details used to market "Fast Frames". They were model specific and were advertised as "a revolutionary self-adhesive canopy framing system". I don't know if they are still offered by our fav. vendors or where else you may find them. They worked great for me, but I still switched to Tamiya tape. Maybe EBay... I've got a few left. Dick...

Reply to
Dick