Chrome silver 12.7mm Brownings on P-47s .. ?

Ehm ...

Probably a dumb question, but I have to ask:

Why do the barrels of the wing-mounted 12.7mm Browning machine guns on the P-47 look like they've been painted in chrome silver?

I've never seen a 12.7mm which weren't burnished gun metal black ...

Did they paint it or did they use a "natural metal" gun barrel?

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Not sure but those are blast tubes, not the actual M3 machine guns. IIRC they are stainless steel to prevent oxidation.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Oh, I see! Thanks! I thought the gun barrels looked a bit odd ...

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

*Checks with Merriam-Webster*

Oops! ... I guess something was lost in translation when I used the word "burnish" ... :-P

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen