Douglas C-118 forward cargo door Q

Anyone here know if the C-118 can be flown with the forward cargo door removed? I'm pretty sure there's no problem with the rear one(s) off, but I'm curious about the one up front. Thanks.

Reply to
frank

I am certain that it *can*, as aircraft have been known to do some amazing things, under extreme circumstances; and this seems pretty minor. But the question is: can anyone come up with some evidence that it was done, under normal operating procedures?

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

OK, let's try this. Would it be acceptable to fly the a/c with the door removed? Was it done in practice?

Reply to
frank

I can't speak to a C-118 but its basic predecessor, the C-54 did, first hand experience. We only did it once but had to in order to accomplish that particular mission at hand. This was in 1970, and we had to push a l-o-n-g dummy nuke shape out the side over White Sands Missile Range that required both doors to be removed. Cargo straps around our waists and locked to padeyes in the deck, 10k feet and just enough air speed to maintain altitude. Damned cold in winter too so as soon as it was out we were back in the small galley guzzling coffee.

Grandpa John

Reply to
John DeBoo