Dyna Soar, MOL, Buran, Hyper-X...

I'm restarting the old resin model kit business I used to run years ago, Part Time Models. There are a vast assortment of spacecraft models I'm interested in modeling, but I want to do some things that'll sell (last time I just made models of whatever I felt like...). To that end, I've got a little market survey going:

What I'm basically looking for is feedback on which of these ~200 models you *would* actually buy if they were made available. I need as much response as I can get in order to do this right, so please take a moment and check it out. There is an Excel spreadshet and a text listing; the spreadsheet option is easiest for me, but all honest feedback is useful.

Thanks.

Reply to
Scott Lowther

Thunderbirds but with a 1.23" + through hole for rocket motors (or display stands).

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thunderbirds? You mean "Thunderbirds are go" crappy Brit puppet show Thunderbirds? Nah. I'd probably get my butt sued off.

Reply to
Scott Lowther

crappy? nonesense. his team built some nice models. and had some great inventions like his special effects rocket motors. high 60's art.

You asked for suggestions!

Sorry!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thunderbirds crappy? Man and here I was thinking that Derek Meddings and crew were model making geniuses.

Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

AHEM: What I actually said was:

Note what is being called "crappy" here. It was the *show* not the

*models.*
Reply to
Scott Lowther

YES!!

Now I have to dive into the storage unit and find my back issues of Aerospace Projects Review to cross-reference the images to all those designations!

APR is my all-time favorite publication! Put me on the list if you ever do a compilation.

Mike Jerauld

Reply to
Mike Jerauld

Actually, the 'show' is only crappy if you want it to be. I rather enjoy it. As for your survey, if I knew what a lot of your proposed kits looked like, I'm sure I'd be interested in more of them, as it is, I would be interested in most everything 1/72.

Reply to
famvburg

We got it.

I thought as a business person you might actually CONSIDER the suggestion of a prospective customer.

Oh well, I know how to do cast molding, maybe I will contact the rights owners for permissions myself.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

POP GOES THE WEASEL!!!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Oh, I'm not rejecting it, it's just that Tbiords are a just a little outside the range of the models I'm largely looking at.

Besides... your initial post simply said "Thinderbirds," without further explanation. Could have been from the TV show; could have neen the Thunderbird sounding rocket, could have been the Tbird USAF display squad, could have been something else entirely.

Reply to
Scott Lowther

watch it buster, yer stomping on teenage memories! (g) besides, he should get a medal for the james bond parodies.

I'm with famvburg here. I have no idea what most of those are on your list. I could suggest Fireball XL-5 but that's probably not what you're looking for.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

the nuclear bomb powered rocket would be cool.

He's not looking for suggestions. He's asking us to indicate our choices from his already-established list of possible model projects.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Here are my suggestions:

1/400 - I'll have to find more info on the subjexts to say, but it is an odd scale. 1/200 - R-7/Vostok/Soyuz, Energiya-Buran &CZ-2F would be nice to complete the Man in Space set. Shuttle-C, MOL, X-20, Titans & Deltas after that. 1/144 - Unless yours will be far superior, avoid repeating subjects from RealSpace Models & NewWare at first. That would leave CZ-2F, X-33, X-34, Ariane V, DC-X. Actually, as there is no available Hubble, that could be a good start (include shuttle bay mounts if possible, old & new solar panel). 1/72 - Same as above for repetition. Shenzou is coming soon from Dragon, so not a good bet (maybe a detail/correction set after release). X-20, Pegasus (with or without X-43), DC-X, MOL would be better. LOK/LK also if RealSpace doesn't re-release the Rho Models ones.

Dom

Reply to
Dominique Durocher

While I'll certainly take suggestions (and have recieved a fair number), I kinda need to stick with the list as already defined. Otherwise, I'd need to go back to those who have already sauid what they wanted,a nd present them with the new options... gah.

Now, if there was some discussion hereabouts to indicate that a model of XYZ would be overwhelmingly popular...

Reply to
Scott Lowther

It is. However, there's already a very nice 1/400 Saturn V on the market, and the rockets lsited at 1/400 are all pretty damn big. 75 feet in diameter and nearly 600 feet long = big.

Agreed.

The market for these models is too small to go head-to-head with competitors on most of these.

Reply to
Scott Lowther

Crappy? I think not!

F.A.B. Bill Sullivan

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art tasty and good with cocktail sauce!"

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist