Esci Fokker F27

There's been a lot of chat on this site recently about mould & label swapping. I'm wondering: does anyone know what became of the Esci 1:72 Fokker F27 Friendship? I always meant to buy one or two of these when they were on the shelves, but never did. I don't recall ever seeing released under another label. Maybe a forthcoming Italeri re-release?

Cheers, James.

Reply to
James Venables

It hasn't been out in some time now. If we ever see it again it probably will be from Italeri. That said, the old Airfix kit is much more accurate. Unfortunately, newer is not always better...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

are both 1/72??? was there ever any other scale? i have one bagged that has no markings. it seems small for a 1/72. the decals are for twa and the xeroxed instructions have no3920 on them. tom, little help?

Yep, and he's right, the Airfix was the better of the two.

ESCI did the F.27 Maritime, the Mk.400 Friendship and the Mk.400M Troopship.

I have the one in Golden Eagles markings. It's the same a/c that I flew several years ago at one of the Wings of Victory airshows at Hamilton AFB. The two things that I'll always remember are the cargo doors on both sides of the fuselage, doors off for the jumpers, and the stunning female pilot.

The F.27 does a long slow curving course while the jumpers are on the way down. All she told me was to hold a particular heading at a specific glide. When time came to land she took the controls back, but let me rest my hands on the controls as she talked me through the landing. First time that I had ever flown a big multi-engined aircraft.

No. 1/72 scale is the one and only scale. There are rumors of other scales, especially one in 48th-something-or-other, but no confirmed information. :-)

No, but seriously, here is a lst of all of the F.27 kits:

Airfix 1/72 (also boxed by Eidai); Co-Ma 1/105; Czech Master 1/72; Doyusha

1/144; Dubena 1/245; ESCI 1/72; Lincoln 1/132 (also boxed by Airlines America, Eidai, International Modeling, Kader); Revell 1/94 and Welsh Models 1/144.

Listing from John Burns' Plastic Aircraft Kits of the 20th Century (and Beyond), also known as PAK-20. John also lists F.27s from ERTL, Kelloggs and R&L, but scales on these are unknown.

Someone here should know which one you have based on the descrption. Sounds lke the old Revell kt. Very nice kit.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

TWA? Are you sure? AFAIK TWA never flew F27s.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

as always, thanks.

damn eyes. taa. orange and blue, logo, the nation's jetline. that better?

Yeah, sounds like an original Lincoln issue to me. Nice kit, crappy decals.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

the plastic was old so a couple of pieces broke off of one side of the right fuselage. they went together ok. it isn't my thing and i'll never build it. with the repairs i would never sell it. anyone want to trade?

Thanks for all the useful info. I'd forgotten about the old Airfix kit (now that I think about it, I have a vague recollection of a Frog kit in about 1:96 scale - is this correct or is my grey matter gettin' too old? Maybe I'm thinking of the Revell kit?).

Is the Airfix kit currently on the shelves? I haven't seen it in Oz.

Cheers, James.

Reply to
James Venables

TheAirfix kit isn't on current release. The FROG kit you may be thinking of is the Handley Page Herald, a similar aircraft also with Rolls Royce Dart engines. It was 1/72.

John

Reply to
John Walker

Try here:

for a real nice compilation of old Frog and Airfix kits. I saw a lot that I'd forgotten about and some that I never even realized existed!

The Old Timer

Check out kit reviews of the F-27 and later Fokker 50 / 60 at:

Meindert

Very informative but

a dead link. :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I deleted some suffixes on that url; got a page: You are wandering on this site? Please go to {index-hyperlinked.} Went to that page; You are wandering on this site? Please return to previous page! 8^)

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper