Fading colors

Just sprayed the green on my A-4P, Looking for Argentine 1982 period... but, there is just too much contrast and just doesn't look faded enough. Any suggestions? wait till after the weathering/ sludge? I was considering a little talc or something in the final flat coat.....

rich

Reply to
Rich

Talc? Just add a small amount of flat white or light gray. Curt

Reply to
C Knowles

Try a bit of tan, or flesh, added to the green; and highlight individual panels. I would stay away from adding white, as this tends to "bleach" out the original color. The tan/flesh will suggest the fading you desire, while preserving some "warmth".

Reply to
Greg Heilers

has anyone ever tried leaving a kit out in the elements, or at least exposed to the sun to see how a kit would naturally fade?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Yep, did that with a Monogram 1/48 B-24D painted in Testors Green Drab (FS 34086) with European Dark Green (FS 34079) mottling around the edges of the wing and tail surfaces. It took about 2 years before it became noticeable.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

This tip came to me by accident but I liked the result so I will use it. I was working on a Hasegawa 1/200th scale KC-10 and had airbrushed a neutral gray upper paint that, for whatever reason, came out exceptionally rough. Before continuing, I wanted to smooth the paint job and decided to experiment with some new Novus Plastic polish (can't remember if it was #1 or #3 but probably

3) and a Q-tip. It smoothed it but also left bits of the white cream ground into the paint in a VERY realistic streaked and faded scheme. You can even avoid panel lines to create a more blotched appearance.

Pat

The price of peace is eternal vigilance.

Reply to
Predc130

Reply to
Don Stauffer