first resin kit

i'm building my first all resin kit and of course i'm jumping right in with a big, (big to me) ticket kit, the

1/35 ohka. the 2 fuselage half fit together unevenly and off center. i'm guessing sandpaper on a pane of glass carefully matching them up using the nose cone to check the diameter? also, the vac canopy is on a block of resin that was it's mold. it's on very tight. how do i loosen it to get it off? i want to keep the mold in case. any other basic tips and tricks or any good url's about resin? thank you all kindly.
Reply to
someone

great idea, i'll let everyone know how it works. how about the halves, guys? somone out there has done it.

Reply to
someone

Never had to do it but you might try soaking it in soapy water. The water should wick in and break any seals.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Your sandpaper on glass idea is sound as long as you use wet sandpaper. You really want to avoid the dust of resin sanding.

Avoid steel files and dry sandpaper. Best tools for sanding resin are emory boards. Drop me a line if you need any, I have a good stash of four-sided ones that I can thin out a bit.

If you are working with a Dremel wear a dust mask and wash well afterwards. Cured resin dust can cause some nasty lung and esophogeal problems. I got contaminated by the component chemicals after years of producing resin kits. Symptoms disappeared within a few months of stopping.

Let's hear about your results.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

since i have breathing problems, i will buy some masks. are the paper face ones ok? i will do it wet and post results as soon as i get the correct tools and start work. email on the way, thanks, tom.

Reply to
someone

I think that the paper masks should do the job as you won't be doing that much dry sanding and filing. If you use a Dremel be aware that the dust goes flying, that's when it gets a bit worrysome without a mask.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

i don't see a reason to use a dremel on this kit but i will remember that for future builds. get my email?

Reply to
someone

Got it. I need your mailing address.

Tom