rufus

my pby5 came today. it certainly is an impressive kit. thanks to a nice little birdy, i can airbrus and detail. i looked through squadrons catalogue and saw interior detail sets. couldn't find the pe you mentioned. who makes it again? i couldn't find it on refresh. and who's decals did you use? i would like a later war unit, and would like 44-45 era markings and mods. i hate the pearl set and the 42 is kinda sparse. in fact, the kit sheet seems really lacking. i think i remember a seaplane base also with the sub base in australia, those would be interesting aircraft.

Decal sets are sort of sparse - I used Aeromaster decals on mine, but several of their sets are out of print now; they had some for smoe of the Aussie and NZ ones too, at one time. Check their website, and the stocks on the shelves. Whatever you do - DON'T USE THE KIT DECALS...final warning...

True Details makes the resin I used, and Eduard makes the etch set - it may be listed as for the PBY-5A, but the parts you need for the -5 will be there as well - you'd just have a few leftovers, maybe.

Belcher Bits also makes a corrected resin tail - the kit tail is noticably too fat at the base; however, it's a serious heavy chunk of resin to put that far aft. I picked up a nice corrected tail...I'll have to do some thinking about using it on my -5A.

A couple of the tricks I used on mine"

1) Yellow decalsheet for the prop tips; I sprayed them flat black, decaled them (tips and blade logos), and then several coats of gloss from a rattle can. Then masked the blades and sprayed the hubs silver. Gives that nice semi-gloss sheen. Leave the backs flat - I overdid it there... 2) I used the kit engine faces, but I scraped the pushrods off of them and laid them back in using stretched sprue to get a more 3D look to them - I used black sprue from another kit so I didn't really have to paint it. I did the same for the ignition wiring. It came out looking pretty nice, and inspired me to go on a "round engine" buying spree for awhile. 3) I masked my canopy frames the old fashioned way - Scotch tape and a new, sharp #11 blade.

It is a very nicely engineered kit - I was worried about that big wing coming out straight, but it jigs itself flat from teh way it's parted out. Getting the wing struts attached was a pain - glue the wing to the fuselage squarely and let that set, then put the struts in. And if you're going to use the beaching gear, I'd recommend replacing the plastic axles on the kit parts with a bit of brass rod. That'll make 'em more durable. I'll be sure to do that if I ever build another one.

Reply to
Rufus

i trust you rufe...one warning will work. the kit decals are cheap lookig, too. and seem "funny".

might be a bit much for me.

zounds good.

zounds good 2

we have rod.... having seen your gem, i hink all this zounds good. thanks.