Smallbrook Gn15 Columbine

Anyone tried building one of these (or, indeed, one of the O16.5 kits from the same maker):

appealing... If anyone's run into any major pratfalls with 'em, I'd like to know - though I'm probably going to order one anyway!

Reply to
Andy Breen

That is nice ! Another direction to swerve off into :-)

Have some concern that its on the smokey joe chassis as the motor is (unless its changed) all or nothing in terms of speed. Would be tempted to see what options are available to change it.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

They're selling the Chinese-made chassis for it now, which the Gn15 lot seem to reckon is considerably better for controllability than the Margate version. Given that the chassis is only fifteen squid, I reckon I'll try it, see how easy it is to DCC it (decoder might have to pretend to be a bag of coal or something...) and if the chassis doesn't deliver then look at other options. I'm already thinking of Ella- and Muriel- alike stretches of it... Get one first and have a look, I guess :-)

Reply to
Andy Breen

What an attractive loco - though I was expecting to see something a century or so older and with much bigger driving wheels :)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Yes, why is it people wave stuff like this in front of the impressionable and easily diverted!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

They just want to share the temptation.

I went to Smallbrook's wbesite, and am thinking there must be a need for am Emmett locomotive on my On30 project.... I could make buildings replaceable, the Gn15 buildings would have the same footprint, and be just a tad or two taller to look right....

Too many projects, too little time.

;-)

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

See, that's what I mean! I hadn't thought of that ...

Too much dithering on my part .. :()

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Well, it's arrived (impressive, as I only phoned the order in yesterday afternoon...) Looks very nice, some flash on the bits of bodywork, but nothing that would scare anyone who's made an Airfix kit. I'll report some more when I've had the chance to look at it in more detail :-)

Reply to
Andy Breen

He's now doing a separate "Heywood" range in Gn15 as well - not on the website yet. "Columbine" was the first, but there's a Heywood "Katie" and a Bassett-Lowke back-to-back open coach coming (or ready, now) as well.

Reply to
Andy Breen