DECALS FOR 48 TFW RAF LAKENHEATH

hi folks, can anyone help point my mouse in the right direction for finding decals for any of the following aircraft, F84G'S F100D F111'S F-4D'S and F-15E'S or show me where I can find deatailed markings 492nd 493rd and 494th squadrons

48th Fighter wing USAFE RAF LAKENHEATH UK

any assitance on finding decals for these sqaudrons would be so greatly appreciated..........many, many thanks and good wishes for your time.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Martins

Have you tried

? They use to have it all...

regards André

"Richard Martins" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@damia.uk.clara.net...

Reply to
André

Try Hannants:

F-15s in 1:72:

?FULL=ESP72021 F-4D, F-111F & F-15E in 1:48:
Xtradecal did a similar sheet in 1:72 including an F-100D, X03472, but it's out of print.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

Big shout going out to Andre & Jonathan:

thanks for doing the leg work guys, I owe you both a pint. Regarding decals for the F84G & F100D Super Sabre I suppose I could mix&match the lettering or bloody hand paint the markings myself if nessasary. I wish I could get all the decals in one uniformed scale as my late father was station at RAF Lakenheath in the early 60's and I'm planning a future project to illustrate all the aircraft that have served for this airbase therefore all relevent aircraft in either 48th or 72nd scale with correct markings would be fantastic, but if this is not possible then any representation of the base's history would satisfiy me. At a later date I will research the WWII type aircraft that were used by the 48th TFW but for the time being I'm happy to build the Jet aircraft of this airbase; reason being I'm new to the hobby of modeling and trying to pace myself accordingly

Reply to
Richard Martins

[...]

Cheers guys Richard

Reply to
Richard Martins

Right, according to "United States Air Force in Britain" by Robert Jackson, published by Airlife, the 48th didn't operate F-84Gs from Lakenheath; "The Super Sabres of the 48th TFW, which had been based at Chaumont, began arriving at Lakenheath on 5 Jan 1960." So the Xtradecal 1:72 sheet covers all of the 48th types (but not all the schemes; the book has a nice picture of a natural metal F-100D, but the sheet covers camoflaged aircraft). You may want to try places like ED Models in Solihull or the chap who goes round to model shows with large boxes of decal sheets to find a copy. Also the sheet only has the F-15Es; but I think Astra does a sheet with the current F-15C. According to the book, Lakenheath has also played host to U-2s, B-47s, KC-97s, RB-50s, RB-36s, B-36Ds supported by C-124s, B-50As, KB-29Ms and B-29s, but not on a permanent basis.

Following on from the last quote "It was not a new association with England, for the unit had flown P-47 Thunderbolts from English airfields during the Second World War as the 48th Fighter-Bomber Group before being deactivated in November 1945; reactivated at Chaumont in November 1952, it had graduated from the F-84G Thunderjet to the F-86F Sabre before rearming with the F-100".

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

Thanks for the History lesson Jonathan, I have found "United States Air Force in Britain" on amazon and ordered it. I will not doubt find it to be a valuable tool when researching my planned project in the future. Do ED Models have a website? sure they do, I'll search them out on Google and will most definatley be looking for a mystery man with large boxs of decals at the first model show I attend. Thank you very much for you time spent drumming up this infomation for me........your a gent

Reply to
Richard Martins

Not a huge amount on the history of the 48th in there, but an intersting read; I could have sworn that Air Enthusiast magazine did something on the

48th not too long ago, but I haven't got an up to date index and I may just be confusing it with the articles they did on the 20th TFW.

Actually, not sure they have a site as such; the advert in Scale Aviation Modeller International lists them as

but they only show their own line of conversions and decals; best bet is to get a phone number from there or from
(ED Models of Shirley, Solihull) and call them.

Assuming from the .uk address you're in the UK, depending on where you are you could try the show at Yeovilton Saturday the 14th, and see if Ken Duffey has finished his An-22; Southern Expo in Hornchurch on the 13th and 14th March, or the show at the RAF Museum at Cosford on 4 April.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your help. I will look into past issues of Air Enthusiast magazine. I have bookedmarked the

site and will contact ED models of Shirley if nessasary. Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the Yeovilton or Southern Expo shows on the dates you mentioned as I will be working at these times but thank you very much indeed for your assitance.

Reply to
Richard Martins

i have this xtradecal sheet in 1/72 scale and if this is what you want, you can 'ave a copy of the instructions and the whole of the sheet less the F-15E and the F-111 stuff [which i need! sorry] for a fair price. don't like F-100s or the F-4D much see.

answer to r.m.s first and i'll e-mail you from elsewhere.

trevor

Reply to
87015

FWIW: Extra-Decals makes a sheet or two of decals for aircraft of the

48th >
Reply to
William H. Shuey

Sounds like a great offer but I'm hoping to build all the Lakenheath jets in

48th scale. I suppose if you let me have them at the right price I could build them up in 72nd scale as a test run for project. contact me and name your price.

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard Martins

Thanks for the link Bill. I had already bookmarked this site as someone had suggested it at an earlier date. Will be placing an order with them soon. but thanks for looking out for me anyway, it's allways very flattering to know that a compleate stranger has sacrificed their own time in order to help me out with something

A big Cheers,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Martins