russian p-39 upper wing surface markings

The preserved Finnish P-39 appears to be in its original markings with stars on the upper wing surfaces, something that I think was not typical soviet practice? Any opinions or knowledge on the matter?

AL

Reply to
old hoodoo

on the upper wing surfaces, something that I think was

It wasn't normal Russian practice, but the P-39s were delivered from U.S. production lines, made by workers who didn't know that. We shipped them over with red painted over the white on U.S. star insignia, sometimes still with the blue backgrounds in place as well. In their rush to get aircraft to the front, the Russians either simply overpainted with green or ignored them.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey