FSN article?

A while ago FSM had an article about weathering using salt and other kitchen items under paint to simulate chipping and wear. I want to try this out but can't remember to save my life the name of the article or issue. I've tried searching the FSM site but salt doesn't find anything. Does anyone remeber this or am I cracking up finally?

HELP!!

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

No - your mind is sound. I remember the article, and even clipped it...only God knows what I did with it, though...

...as I recall, the technique is pretty straightforward - paint a silver base coat on your model, then make a slurry of moist salt as a mask...not so damp as to allow the grain to melt, just enough to make it stick/clump together...apply the salt paste in areas where you want chipping to be and spray your color coat on while the salt is still wet. Then once everything is dry, chip away the salt.

Not sure, but I think you might have to use enamels...might work with acrylics, though. If salt/water doesn't "poison" them.

...ahh...after I've typed all that, a search of the FSM site reveals the article was a feature in the July 2003 issue - "Fast and easy paint wear", by Brian Barton. As an "FSM Finishing School" article.

Rufus

You're not cracking up - I also remeber the article - seem to remember you used wet salt as a mask then sprayed and later washed off the salt and paint on it to do weathering - I'll look at my stack to try to find it.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Acrylics work fine with this technique. However, Alclad is adversely affected by the salt. Not to worry though. A coat of Future solves the problem.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns9BB2D4A3A7B6FWereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.142:

Thanks guys, so far. I can't find my July 2003 issue, yet. Wasn't there a comparison of different types of items to use, salt, sugar, artificial sweetners? Each seemed to have a different effect, some better than others.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I wondered about that - salt on the metallic paint. Wonder of sugar or baking soda would work just as well?..

Reply to
Rufus

Hi there. I think that the salt crystals are harder and bigger. (?) I think the sugar and the baking soda would disolve. The baking soda wll probably be like a paste.

Cheers from Peter

You could always try them and see. I'd practice on a scrap model though.

Reply to
TankBuilder2

7B6FWereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.142:

you might find this of some use as well:

OldSchool

I've used baking soda to simulate non-skid on walkways - paint the walkway and sprinkle it into the wet paint, then spray another coat.

It looks really great, but it doesn't seem to last...a year or two at best. It turns whitish and then starts to chip off. Just noticed that again on a 1/32 Tomcat I'd already repaired once as I was dusting it last night.

Reply to
Rufus

kosher salt is really good. it's tough and very uneven.

Reply to
someone

the article was in the November 08 issue in the Bonus Weathering Handbook. Add Salt and Batter your models. What they used that worked was course salt, sugar, spenda, sweet n low, and equal. the paint was Tamiya.

Reply to
jim

grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns9BB2D4A3A7B6FWereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.142:

Glory Be! November 2008! It was in an insert called Weathering Handbook or some such. Thanks all.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

Yes indeed, found it this afternoon while doing some cleaning. Thanks all!

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost