Future floor wax

I'm having trouble airbrushing Future. How and what to I cut it with% Any tips? Alan G

Reply to
alang2747

Alan,

Future has almost the consistency of water and should not need any thinning at all. Being basically liquid acrylic, I imagine it can be cut with any acrylic compatible thinner. Its possible your airbrush tip is clogged or damaged, or that you do not have the proper air pressure setting. Why do you feel the need to thin yours?

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

I've used Future straight from the bottle with no problems.

I use ammonia for clean up but I don't recommend using it as a thinner for airbrushing.

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

I had trouble myself getting Future to level well and the problem got worse as my bottle aged. I found that by diluting 50/50, or even more, with 91% isopropyl alcohol and putting on a wet but not runny coat gave me a smooth finish with very little orange peel effect. I think you could use 70% alcohol as well but haven't tried that.

By the way, Future is acrylic and has no wax in it.

Jim Bright

Reply to
jhbright

Unthinned try boosting your psi to 20+ Thinned 10%-50% with alchohol, you should be able to push it with 15psi

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

I do the same as Jim describes below.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

It is not difficult to spray Future or Klear, you must have a clean airbrush and psi 20lbs is a norm, the secret is to only dust a couple of coats on first, by that I mean keep the airbrush almost closed and don't let it build up into a thick layer, use fairly quick passes, after a couple of coats you can lay a thicker one on but still only light, you will start to get a smooth finish not a glossy one which is what you need remember this is NOT a gloss varnish . repeat if you need to, another coat still won't be glossy. You can of course use a 1/2 inch wide flat brush to apply the stuff, again just dip the end of the brush in and spread it out quickly don't go over it once it has been on a few seconds move on to the next area. Be brave and try it out on some old model it dries in seconds if you do it this way even a thick coat is dry hard in an hour, I then give it a VERY light rub over with worn out 1200 grade wet or dry paper and it is ready to decal onto.

Reply to
Ted Taylor

Not a gloss finish? Huh?

I use Future on clear model windows and it dries as shiny as glass.

I've read about car modelers who use it as a final hi-gloss clear coat. It gives a mirror-like shiny finish.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

for finishing coats i always thin it 50/50 with 90% alcohol. misting on light coats works better than full strength for me. that way i don't gey too much build up.

I use 1:1 parts Future and Tamiya Acrylic Thinner.

Reply to
Felix D.