Greatest mistakes

Roger that, but the term "do over" is very apropos! (Minus the Jameson's, of course...)

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

should have been the right time frame to be psychedelic, baby.

Several years ago I built Bob Johnson's Razorback P-47 from the Otaki kit and added considerable detail. One of the details I added was s/s tubing for the gun bbls. I thought it looked pretty good when I got finished except that something just didn't look quite right about the finished model though I couldn't figure out just what it was. Some time later, I decided to mount it on a base. After finishing the base I was going to mount it on I picked the airplane up and flipped it over to put a couple spots of white glue on the tires. that's when I glanced at the shell ejection ports and realized what it was that didn't look quite right. I had staggered the gun bbls the wrong way; exactly opposite of the shell ports!

I put it aside disgustedly for some time until I decided to fix it. When I tried to pull the bbls out and put them in the right way (they were solidly super glued in), I ended up cracking the seam of the leading edge of the wing and pulled a chunk off with one of the tubes when it finally did let go. I got so annoyed that the whole thing went right into the trash.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Maryland Military Modellers convention wayyy back in the 70's. Photographer had a table set up with flood lights and all to take pictures of the winning models. Guy had a beautiful 1/32 scale revell P-40. They set it up, adjusted the lights and then got distracted by something. When they went back to the model, it looked like one of those aircraft caricatures the that guy Caruso does.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

A friend who models strictly WWI and rarely finishes a model brought his Sopwith (IIRC) to an IPMS meeting.

It was really nice except for having been left in the car all day. It kind of looked like it was in a perpetual right turn.

That may just be the most common OMIGAWD!!! in our little world.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

One of the guys in our local club entered a beautiful Israeli Sherman in a local contest sponsored by Rare-Plane Detective. All his conversion work was done from scratch; this was back in the day before aftermarket really took off. Incredibly it won second prize, the winner being something that in many viewers' eyes had no business winning. Vince wasn't exactly PO'ed but did ask what made the other one come out first. The judge pointed to Vince's kit's tracks -- he had put one on with the tread pads facing one way, the other track with the treads the opposite way...

Reply to
MJ Rudy

Just wish that thought occurred to us more often. In my case, it was a nice sunny day at Road America during the historic races and I brought out a (rare) display of my BMW builds and put them out for viewing inside a plexiglas case. BIG MISTAKE. Fortunately, the most precious of the lot was a *crystal* M1 molded in clear plastic that didn't soak up much radiation. However, its Pooh Jeans counterpart, painted in (what else?) denim blue got a severely warped roofline and engine cover. More poignantly destroyed was the 1929 Dixi. Finely molded in near-scale thickness, this little bright red & black-fendered (and flat black cabrio-topped) beauty was a solar magnet that now awaits a body transplant from another one of these kits for which I don't want to build that dainty chassis again ... >:^(

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; screwed that up)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Built a Monogram Bf109 nightfighter. The underside of ONLY the right wing was supposed to be painted black. So, I flipped the plane upside down with the tail to my stomach and painted the underside of the wing *to my right* black. I was so proud! When the paint dried I flipped the plane right side up...and did the proverbial slap to the side of the head.

I have several beautifully built tri-cycle gear kits that are tail draggers because I forgot to install tail weights.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

er,...nose weights.

Reply to
Art Murray

I did just the same thing visualizing as I read your post :)

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

yep, done the last one. sewing needles are hard to see.....

Excellent stop gap solution!

Reply to
Art Murray

you can get very long, thin ones and bend one end over heat to make a flat part for flat surfaces. sort of a L.

Am Fri, 28 Oct 2005 04:57:34 GMT schrieb "e":

Been there - done different. I used to inject some silicone through a tiny hole in the front wheel well (nearly invisible place, anyhow), and just a drop of paint for touch-up, done...

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)

Reply to
spam-trash