Heating brass collars

I am in the throngs of fashioning a mast, and I would prefer to use a brass collar.

If I apply a heat source, will that be sufficient to expand the diameter such that I can move it into place, allow it to cool to more or less form a tight bound?

That is what I thought, but when I tried visualising it, it did not make any sense.