Hornet B-25 Deck Config Question

From pics and models I've seen, the deck has just had the 16 B-25's on

deck with the Hornet's planes in the hangars.

While reading "The Doolittle Raid" by Carroll V. Glines, there is a pic showing two planes, possibly SBD's on the starbord side about two B-25's up from the stern. The caption states that the pic was taken as it was leaving SF Bay.

First I've heard of anything else other than B-25's on the deck. Have we been doing it wrong all these years?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

There is a whole lot of ocean, between SF Bay, and the point from which the B-25's departed. I think they probably had some time to move aircraft around.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Hornet kept 4 Wildcats on the forward part of the deck "just in case" most of the rest of the airwing was struck to the hangar deck, IIRC the TBD's had been landed and there were none on the cruise. Enterprise was tasked with providing CAP for the mission.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

They did in fact respot the B-25's prior to launching, most of the cruise they were parked along approx. 3/4 the length of the flight deck in staggered parallel rows.

Reply to
rwsmithjr