Airbrush Info ?

I'm now about to purchase my first airbrush. Looking around the net has drawn me to the Badger 200-3 set. Can anybody recommend the Badger 200 or should I look at something else?

TIA

Andy Mc

-=Plane Mad=-

Reply to
-=Plane Mad=-

I highly recommend the Badger 200. Treat it right and it will last you for years.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I bought an air brush once ...used it for months..............went back to brushes

Reply to
Arcusinoz

I have a Badger Crescendo and a Badger 200G that I'm extremely happy with.

I also have a never-been-used Badger 100-LGM package (ie dual-action, large cup, medium tip/needle in the black plastic box) and some extra parts (fine head assembly, fine needle, spare cup cap) that I've been meaning to put up on ebay. I don't really need a third airbrush so if you're interested, I'd be willing to part with them for less than it cost to buy them from dixieart ...

Reply to
John McGrail

I have two Badger 200's. I'm still using my original one - which is over 30 years old. Highly recommended.

Reply to
Rufus

I have only owned one airbrush, a Badger 150, which has served me faultlessly for over thirty years. If I had my time again, I would go for a Badger 100LG,

as I have almost never used the large-capacity paint jars that are the main feature of the bottom-feeding 150, and I now know that for my modelling uses (mainly 1/72 or 1/48 aeroplanes) I will never need more paint per session than the integral top-feeding cup of the Badger 100 can supply; and the lack of a hanging jar or side-cup makes it easier to get in close.

I decided that it was likely that I would only buy one airbrush, and that I wanted the flexibility of a double-action brush. The only way to learn how to use double-action is to practice with it - so I needed to start out buying a double-action brush. If the worst came to the worst, I could lock the trigger in place and use it single-action.

The 100/150/200 range uses mostly the same components and provided the build standard hasn't dropped off in the intervening years, any of these tools will serve you well and be an heirloom for your children!

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys :-) It looks as if the Badger 200 could be the one to go for.

I've just had a thought...... I'm left handed, will this be a problem?

Thanks

Andy

-=Plane Mad=-

Reply to
-=Plane Mad=-

I think it was Paul Boyer who once wrote that airbrushes are like ladies: someone likes blondes, someone likes brunettes or redheads...

The Badger 200 is a good airbrush, but you must "feel" it, so the one that's good for you maybe is not good for another (and vice-versa) for example I used a Badger 200 for years, but since I tested an Aztek I never came back to the Badger (while someone instead dislikes that "plastic airbrush").

If you can, the best thing would be to test some different airbrushes before buying one.

My 0.02

Reply to
Yuri

Left handed is not a problem with an airbrush; they are not "handed" at all.

Reply to
Larry Farrell

Hurrah! Someone else who speaks well of the Aztek brush!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Have two here...the basic single action lever (no interchangeable nozzels) for general over spraying, and a dual action with various nozzles. The best thing about the latter is my three year old daughter. Sometimes things happen with her that force me to leave the work table suddenly and for extended lengths of time. The Aztek is very forgiving...spritz a little thinner throught it and I'm back to painting again. The only drawback I've really seen with the Azteks is the inability to do pencil thin lines without a bit of splatter. I've gotten around that with the oil based art pencils :)

Reply to
TMB

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering if the buttons or mouldings were "right handed". That's put my mind to rest.

Andy

-=Plane Mad=-

Reply to
-=Plane Mad=-

Nope - I use my 200 in both my left and right hands, predominantly left. The air delivery attachment can be positioned to make it comfortable for either. You'll develop a set up that suits you.

Reply to
Rufus

They can be...sort of. You can set them up to feel more comfortable in your hand just by the way you attach fittings, etc.

Like the way you can attach the color cup on either side of the Aztec brushes, or the way I lean the attachement of the bend of the air delivery hose left or right on my Badger 200s.

Reply to
Rufus

It also turns out that the Badger 100 comes in either right handed or left handed models! Most side feed airbrushes allow attachment of the color cup on either side, as Rufus notes above, and other arrangements of components can make right handed or left handed use more comfortable.

Reply to
Larry Farrell

I gave up on my Aztek (cool wood bax not withstanding) when one little plastic part inside broke and the ting is now useless. And I didn't like the changing tips issue. Just too much extra work, exspense, and clean-up. I actually have just started using a couple of old Sears brushes that were given to me. Single action, but I am getting a Paasch for my birthday.

Reply to
Moi

Most airbrushes have a cup that comes out of the side. On my Aztek, this can be mounted on either side. This makes it easy for left hand use. I am not sure if other brushes do the same but it would be worth checking

Reply to
David Pennington