Ice forming on the compressor tank

I knew that when air is compressed it will liquify, but to have ice forming not onlu in the tank, but on the drain c*ck is ridiculous!

Is there a solution to prevent this sort of thing?

Reply to
Wayne

Sounds like another good reason to use CO2 (and live in a warm climate.) :)

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

PV=nRT nR= a constant so, with a constant volume tank, as you increase the pressure, the temperature rises.

When you use your airbrush and release the pressure in the tank, the temperature of the remaining air in the tank falls. If you are using up the air in the tank fast enough, the temperature keeps right on falling until the humidity in the tank starts to condense out. That's where you get the water condensing out and spitting on your model. If you keep using up the air at that rate, the water in the tank will go ahead and freeze. With a small paint can sized "tank" of air, put the can in a bucket of water to keep the temperature up above the dew point of the water in the tank. Else use one or more serial water traps in your output line.

Or, use CO2 like I do. A single 20 pound tank can last for years.

Reply to
Tom