IJN Yamato

This is not at all in my field or scale, but has anyone seen the Tamiya IJN Yamato sectional kits?

They look to be about 1/700 (I forgot to check) and they come as seven (IIRC) seperate kits, each a vertical cross section of one part of the ship. Amazing and very informative presentation. No idea how accurate, but what a great concept!

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I haven't seen these particular kits, but what you're describing sounds like some Latina kits that I saw years ago with cross sections of the "Victory", "Constitution" (IIRC) and several others, all in (about)

1:72 scale. They were a great concept and showed how the sailors ~lived~, not just the ship they lived ~on~.
Reply to
The Old Man

I've seen one. They have it on display at my local hobby shop. It looks pretty cool from some distance. Can't comment on accuracy, but up close the cutaway detail looked pretty toy-like to me, not very sharp. Outer detail looked decent, a good ship modeler could probably make this into an interesting display, but it would take a lot of work.

Ken

The Old Man wrote:

Reply to
Ken D

I've seen one. They have it on display at my local hobby shop. It looks pretty cool from some distance. Can't comment on accuracy, but up close the cutaway detail looked pretty toy-like to me, not very sharp and the detail is shallow. At least by the standards of the expert ship modelers we have around here! m Of which I am not one, so await a report from a real ship modeler. Outer detail looked decent, a good ship modeler could probably make this into an interesting display, but it would take a lot of work. It is 1/700, almost 16" long.

Ken

The Old Man wrote:

Reply to
Ken D

Hi, Is this one?

These are toys came in boxes of candy. (Really,candy came in boxes of toys.) So,these were sold at grocery shops. The price per one box was about $3.

Nobu (> I've seen one. They have it on display at my local hobby shop. It

Reply to
MURATE Nobuyuki

Hi, been trying to find a fibre glass hull for Yamato or Musashi at about five foot length for R/C but cant find a manufacturer for one, there is a massive ten foot hull available at around $1000 but thats far too large for my transport and storage abilty. I remember the third of the class was finished as an aircraft carrier, this would make a very interesting and quite rare model as I have not heard of anyone building a model of it,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

Nobu -

Yep, that looks like the item. I thought it looked toy-like!

Ken

MURATE Nobuyuki wrote:

Reply to
Ken D

I think Ken and I saw the same model on display at Berkeley Ace Hardware's hobby shop. Forgot to ask the price. Yes, it is the same thing that Nobu has shown.

Tom

Ken D wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Of course, they could get three times that anywhere else. Has anyone thought of that?

Reply to
tomcervo

Possibly.

John McGrail

These are some pretty common items on eBay. They have model series that run from Star Trek ships to WWII fighters to tanks to Real Space to some pretty accurate dinosaur and prehistoric life figures. I was told by a guy down in Oz that Cadbury tried to bring these toys/models into the U.S., but they were turned away because little Freddy might accidently eat one and choke to death. So eBay is about the only place you can find them for a reasonable price.

Reply to
The Old Man