Iraq M1A1 question

Hi all,

Quick question about M1A1s in Iraq (OIF): did ALL Abrams have the two flat, rectangular "slabs" on the front turret plates, on either side of the main gun barrel? I understand these are for attaching MILES gear during exercises.

It seems like most had them, but all???

Thanks in advance.

Weasel

Reply to
Weasel

No these are CIP panels and do the same thing as the venetian blind type on the side of the turret. They are covered with a low emissivity tape that cause the flat panel to be cooler than the rest of the turret surface. This gives a cold spot in the thermal sights of another tank.

They are attached with big strips of velcro, much like the MILES gear. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Rob is correct, but to answer your question it is yes, ALL M1A1 and most of the British Challenger 2s had the panels,

Nobody wants to get shot by their own guys.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Reply to
Weasel

Jim,

Well, we could put them in a vehicle without the panels and have them run around in Iraq for a while and see what happens... Great way to make believers out of the survivors!

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne